Help with Thorens. TD145

So I have a 70’s era Thorens TD145.  I inherited it from my brother....Excellent condition with new belt.  I posted before about a year ago, but am ready to pull the trigger and spend some money.  1st question:  Should I change the wiring?.....Tonearm wires and the soldered rca patch cables.  Next...phono preamp recommendations under 2K??  And finally cartridge recommendations.  $2k again.  Back in the day (1970’s) I was an ortofon MC cartridge fanboy...  So am I over or spending??   Rest of my system is GE Triton References, Carver Crimson 275, Prima Luna preamp, Schiit YGGY, Jay’s CD transport, ,Oppo 103d and Roon nucleus.

Thanks!
128x128fastninja12
Sure, there is a point where you have to ask "why am I spending MORE"? Will you get more if you pay more? To a point..

Match the cart to phono stage, match the pair to the tonearm. TP-16 is a good tonearm. You can swap it for an after market.

SME and Jelco are BOTH very popular and mounting hardware is available.

Remember, Thoren makes a 20K + TT NOW... They have some mighty fine TT indeed..

There is a NEW TD124 direct drive.. too.. they are keeping up...

Regards
Before you proceed ID which version of the TP16 you have.

Off the top of my head one had approx. half the effective mass of the other.

DeKay
UPDATE….new cables and belt.  When the TT was given to me it had a SHURE M97 installed.  Last night I played a brand new MOFI master (J Geils) very impressed, exceeded my expectations.    I had not listened to an LP in close to 20 years.   Then I pulled out  another LP that had had heavy rotation for years before I put all my albums up….Left channel midrange was edgy, unpleasant.  So I’m assuming the TT is set up properly due to the MOFI sound lacking the edgy left channel.  NOW the question.  I’m ready to buy a cartridge.  This is the TP16 tonearm and I’m certain it is the series one (because it appears identical to the Thorens TT I had experience with in the 70’s.  I bought a Schiit phono preamp as a starter.  I’ve been looking at the ortofon black, but would like feedback and suggestions on an appropriate cartridge with a new phono pre in the future.  Thanks to all…
Here are pics (see links) of the Two different TP16 tonearms...

The first one is of the original...

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/thorens/tp16.shtml

This one is of the MkII (which is a low mass tonearm)...

https://www.theanalogdept.com/tp16mkii_rewire.htm

The first one has a higher effective mass than that of my old currently used SME 3009 (non-improved) @ it being around 15 grams, or so.

The only Thorens arm I have owned/used was the stock one on a TD165 (TP13 maybe) and with proper setup I was amazed @ how good it could sound with a couple of Grado cartridges.

That's my only first hand experience with a Thorens arm as I've used SME's on Thorens decks since the early 70's and am still using such a combo.

DeKay