Fedex Customs problem

I sent my SME 3009 tonearm to Scotland for full service. I was shipped back to me on April 29 via Interparcel [Fedex].
The package is being delayed at the Memphis, TN, Fedex office. A few minutes ago I filled a CBP 5106 form and mailed it to Fedex. 

I still do not understand why I had to fill a form that I am unable to fully understand since I am not in the importing business. I do not understand the trade lingo and abbreviations.

Since 1976 I have been buying audio equipment from the UK [Quad 63s, Linn, Gyrodec, NAIM, etc] more valuable than a used SME 3009 and never had to fill a form or had any problems. Last January I received another SME 3009 that was rewired by the same person in Edinburgh but it came via USPS without insurance and it arrived pretty fast without a problem..

My Garrard 401 is being rebuilt in the UK and I'm afraid to have problems with Customs again but using USPS is risky since my deck costs $1,8K.

I would really appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Cheers,

Horacio

f456gt
Fedex said that the information was incomplete that I had to fill the CPB form. The customs label is very clear, Tonearm and book. Reason for export: Return. I have used Fedex for many years without a problem.

Ebay works in a different way, it is big business and it is not subject to the same laws.
I think that it was a matter of bad luck like Jasonbourne said. I am also surprised that it came via Memphis, all my UK imports arrived via Atlanta, my packages were shipped from the same airport. There are no direct flights to UK from Miami.
FWIW, I bought a used amp from Canada. I've done so before so wasn't expecting the charge I got from UPS. the customs fee was $17-18. UPS fee was $65. They held it up until I paid it. 
Sent the same amp for upgrades and service back to Canada via DHL without a hitch. 

You should call Fedex for clarification. Thats what I did. 
In my case Fedex never asked me for a fee, the issue is Clearance delay - Import Shipment requires importer's registration/identification number for clearance. (Examples include EIN, SSN, VAT, GST, RFC, etc.).
I’ll wait till later this afternoon after they have the chance to review the info I sent. Two months ago I sold a head amp to a chap in Canada and Fedex sent me an invoice for $98 in Canadian taxes. The problem was solved when they realized that I live in the US and that I was not required to pay Canadian taxes. Buy they tried to get the money that the buyer did not pay.
I have just found out that we are for hard times. The form was supposed to be replaced back in 2017 and they never did but it wasn't in use since. The current administration put it back in circulation last month as part of their new tax plan. It's a stupid and overly complicated form and everyone is obliged to comply, the problem is with our government nothing to do with Fedex or the shipper.