Dazed and confused about streamer upgrade

I started a thread in the amp/preamp section asking about an integrated amp upgrade and got some good advice that made re-think my upgrade path.  I have a Macintosh MA8900, driving Vandersteen Treo CT’s, with a six pack of Rel S510’s.  I use a BluOS Node 2i as a streamer.  No CD’s, no need for storage.  I had thought about upgrading the Mac to a Boulder 866, but am now thinking I may get a bigger improvement for less dollars by upgrading the BluOS next.  I don’t know much about DACs and streamers, but am thinking that I should look at streamers only, since the 866 has a good DAC, and why pay for a combo DAC/ Streamer when the DAC will be bypassed.   Suggestions for a $3k to $5k streamer?  Or stick with upgrading the Mac? Thanks for any help!
cosmic_charlie
I’m not sure I’m understanding you. You either want the Boulder 866 digital version or get a better streamer for the MA8900?
You can approach streamer upgrade couple of ways, pair Node 2i with a better DAC before you upgrade to Boulder 866. The DAC inside McIntosh is likely no better than the DAC inside Node2i. You will get much better sound with a outboard DAC like MHDT Labs Orchid or Denafrips Pontus II.

If you go down the Boulder 866 route, look into Aurender N100 or N10 (used), either of these would provide substantial SQ upgrade over Node 2i.

Watch out for folks who are incapable of appreciating any differences between different streamers and DAC’s :-)

Good luck!
The Boulder 866 digital is a roon endpoint so I see no reason to buy a streamer with it just use roon.  If you upgrade the McIntosh with the DAC 2 module there are a few streamers without DACs you could use. I use the Lumin U1 mini but Bel Canto and Simaudio are good as well as others.