This is very timely...

I'm confident that opinions will vary quite a bit with what's written in this article.

https://www.soundstagesolo.com/index.php/features/286-how-audio-writers-are-killing-the-audio-indust...

Some familiar names are present in the comments section.
edgewound
bdp24 ...

• "The "salesman" who informed me of that fact was dripping with smug arrogance."

This attitude filters down from the top. From what I experienced from various audio shows I've worked at and attended over the years, this was certainly true of Lyric Audio. Nuff said,

Frank

edgewound
Thank you for the link. Does Ken Pohlmann still write ?

Happy Listening!
Jay Jay from Twisted Sister has an article in the latest Stereophile about Lyric from the time he worked there.
If audio writers who praise these products asked mainstream speaker designers why they don’t make super-efficient speakers, they’d learn that with efficiency comes compromises—in frequency-response linearity, dispersion, distortion, and power handling. Few highly efficient speakers achieve a respectably flat frequency response and broad dispersion. And many of the primitive tube amps that are typically used to drive them have very high output impedance, which will interact with a speaker’s impedance to change the sound in ways the speaker’s designer didn’t anticipate and likely wouldn’t condone.

OK I started reading the article but the BS started to stink too much. Sure, there is plenty of snake oil in this and every other hobby too. But that doesn't mean that it's ALL snake oil. And just because someone doesn't understand HOW it works does not negate the fact that it may work.

I see a lot of newbies talking up their 400 wpc PA amp as if its the absolute best for hifi because they have mammoth power. I have an older Crown MT 1200 which came from a studio that I would not consider using  to replace my 60wpc or 35wpc tube amp in my system. But it will fill up a good size parking lot in its proper application... Live sound. of course with those high efficiency speakers.

The writer talks about high efficiency speaker compromises as if they were the only ones to compromise. That is BS to the max. Everything in life is a compromise for mere mortals with a budget. Products without compromise are the very things that I suspect the writer also doesn't like. You know, those $ 200K speakers. I know I've seen the very people who criticize these ultra expensive components then expect perfection for $200. Its time to get real. You can't have it both ways
Quite right. Lyric killed Lyric. However, Mr Butterworth's opinion is quite valid. The lay instinct problem is ever present particularly in the press. Another problem is press bias due to financial pressures and personal bias. Have you ever noticed that many manufacturers will only let writers who are already fond of their equipment do review's? This says nothing of the scheisters that sell BS tweaks with marketing that is patently ridiculous. 
I find it refreshing that Butterworth mentions Room control and subwoofers two technologies that I am extremely fond of. They do make dramatic improvements in sound quality but it is so hard getting people to understand this, or want to understand this.