Impedance matching, why?

Why are some preamps not good with a specific amp / vice versa. ?

2 preamps listed below.......

Line Amplifier Section
Gain: 21.5 dB
Bandwidth: 0.5Hz-300 kHz + 0,-3dB
Maximum Output: 8.0 Vrms
Harmonic Distortion (THD): less than .1% at 2.5 Vrms output Hum and Noise: 100 dB below 2.5 Vrms output
Signal Polarity ("Absolute Phase"): Non-Inverting
Output Impedance: less than 100 Ohms
Input Impedance: 13.5 kOhms

Optional Phono Stage
MM Phono Sensitivity: 5mv for 0.5v @ 1kHz
MC Phono Sensitivity: 0.9mv for 0.5v @1kHz
MM & MC Phono Overload: 200mv
MM & MC Phono Input Capacitance: Adjustable (minimum = 100pF) MM & MC Input Load Resistance: Adjustable (maximum = 47.5k ohm) MM S/N: -80dB relative to 10 mv input
MC S/N: -75dB relative to 100 mv input

————————————————————————————-

Frequency Response

-3 dB at 5 Hz and 200 kHz

Noise

Greater than 100 dB below 1 volt reference

Distortion

Less than 0.002% from 10 Hz to 40 KHz @ 5 volts peak into 600 ohms or higher, shunted by 1,000 pF or less

Output Impedance

50 ohms, non-reactive, balanced or single-ended

Phono Input Impedance  

User adjustable between 47,000 and 100 ohms. Default setting is 47,000 ohms

Phono Input Capacitance  

User adjustable between 50 pf and 1,200 pF. Default setting is 50 pF.

Input Impedance

47 kohms, balanced or single-ended

Gain  

User adjustable up to 18 dB. Default setting is +8 dB

Maximum Output  

10 volts peak

Crosstalk

Greater than 70 dB from 20 Hz to 20 KHz

Power Supply

Independently regulated with shielded toroidal transformer and 20,000 uF of capacitance

Power Consumption

10 watts

—————————————————————————————-

Amplifiers listed below (2)

Input Impedance: 13 kOhms
Input Sensitivity: 3.1 Vrms
Voltage Gain: 27.4 dB
Frequency Response: -3dB @ .5 Hz, 65 kHz Signal-to-Noise: 112 dB
Harmonic Distortion (10 watts, 1 KHz, 8 ohm load): .1% Signal Polarity ("Absolute Phase"): Non-Inverting
Power Requirements (117V/60HZ): 0.7 Amps /84 Watts @ idle
6.8 Amps/ 820 Watts @ clipping (8 ohms) Dimensions: 19" W x 6 7/8" H x 15 D"
Weight: 61 lbs.

128x128arcticdeth
Most aspects of the sounds of music reproduction are subjective because there are so many variables involved and what people want is variable. You can spend lots of time with measurements and get no where. While there are some variables sampled in the specs that can tell you the big picture (inefficient speakers and flea sized amps don’t work) they don’t tell enough of the story to allow good component or compatibility choices... Any one variable in itself (unless completely anomalous with standard audio characteristic) is virtually irrelevant in getting the sound you want.
I started into high end audio when I was a working scientist. I quickly learned to just check the top few variables and then ignore the specs for choosing components.. They can tell you a bit about the component... like the power... but there are so many not measured that you just can’t really assess the sound and compatibility with them. Even as someone that loves data, charts, and relationships... I don’t look at them. To me, a waste of my time. Some people really like them... but at best they can only be the very faintest of indicator.

You have to listen to them yourself and read professional reviews of the same units. This way you calibrate yourself to the generally accepted characteristics in sound and terminology, learn what the unit sounds like to you, and also realize what sound characteristics you like and want.
All reviews are of systems. So within all reviews are information about the system and its components. Usually a reviewer reviewing a preamp will use several amps to check for compatibility... and document the differences. There are lots of high level generalities... but they are just that... generalities and any unit can be vary different. Over many years and decades if you work hard and are good with unstructured problems you will develop the ability to read reviews and know “house sounds” well enough to put together the system you want.
This is a great challenge and pleasure to some, something one can be fascinated for a lifetime and reap great rewards. Or it can be incredibly frustrating if you are not good at it. If you are the latter, then you either throw up your hands and say it’s all bs or you go to showrooms, listen to systems and have someone piece together something you like. I have an incredible system that brings incredible enjoyment to me that I have built over fifty years. My best friend has a $30K system that sounds absolutely terrible.. he was a scientist as well he would read reviews and choose award winning components and when he put them together the sounded absolutely terrible. His system has sat there untouched for ten years.
Oddball question but could an impedance mismatch between Linestage and amplifier somehow cause the amp to short in its power supply? 
Impedance matching, why?

Simple reason, without causing a head spin for those.
Think of it as a bottle neck, it backs up the flow and causes resistance.
You need around 1:10 output to input impedance ratio or more to stop any bottle neck.
Cheers George