Cables, just as important as a hi end component?

So you spend $15k on speakers, $10k for an amp and processor is $5k, etc. and you cheap out with cables for a few hundred?

does this make sense??

seems spending $2 to 3k for cables is very resonable, and it does make a diff.

jumia
Even though we make cables, my advice is to spend the least you can, in order to achieve the sonic qualities you desire. 

Then weigh if the new(er) qualities of a more expensive cable swapped in...are worth it to you.

Just common sense, is all.
You wouldn't believe the number of "thrifty" audiophiles who do just that. The end up with mediocre sound, all the while thinking they are genius. Worse, they mix cables ad hoc and figure they're oh, so smart. The community is stuffed with very smart, but also very arrogant people who think they can ignore manufacturer's recommendations and designs pertaining to cables, and magically they will find the optimum set.  :( 

@douglas_schroeder

I agree with you. You can have a good sounding system without attention to the details like cables or doing it poorly.... but all great sounding systems are created by tremendous attention to details and cables and interconnects are important ones.
Avoid people who speak in absolute terms and you'll be okay. 
Remember the old adage: 
I'll defend anyone seeking the truth but will fight anyone who claims to have found it. 
Or something like that.

All the best,
Nonoise
Nirvana SX-1 are famous cables, I didn't try them, though. I think, Chesky Records used them as microphone cables. That alone says a lot. What happened to Nirvana company ?
Yeah, not in absolute terms, but really good cables make a big difference.
 $5k interconnects between two $5k each active components ? Instead of upgrading one or both of those. I don't know, on case by case basis, I would say.  Also depends on what cables you already have.
But signal transmission is extremely important, this is hard to question.