Tekton Design Moab

Ordered a pair just now. In Dark Gray, to which Tammy immediately said, "Oh the Charcoal is beautiful!" Charcoal sounds better than Dark Gray (even though we are talking about the same color!) so Charcoal it is!  

My beloved Talon Khorus do still sound awfully good. It will be interesting to see how the Moabs stock out of the box compare with these tweaked and modded warhorses. Both the strength, and the weakness, of the Khorus is using the 10" woofer to cover so much midrange. Its a strength because it makes for a very smooth and cohesive sound. But its a weakness because its asking a lot of such a large driver to go so high. Talon makes up for it with their isobaric design. Mounted inside and directly behind the woofer is another identical driver facing the opposite direction. The idea is this relieves the front facing driver of having to compress the air inside the cabinet. This does allow for a much faster response, and is a big reason for the wonderful music the Khorus produces. 

I have a feeling however it is no match for Eric Alexander's ultra-low mass driver array solution. Only one way to know for sure. So we will just have to see!  

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 
128x128millercarbon
Almost halfway there then. Only a few more months to go.  

Kidding! Kidding!!! (Sorta;)  

On the Tekton Group Owners page I got a lot of laughs for saying: 

Tekton is like Patek-Philippe, you never really own one, you order it for the next generation. lol!
I can see why, that is side splitting hilarious!
Say, what are those black boxes plugged into your conditioner?
@MC. how do your Moabs compare to your previous Talon?  Were the Talon upgraded/modified and if so, to what degree? Were the crossover modified by Mike? Did you ever use any type of spring or other isolation on Korus, if so which? Did you ever compare the previous Talon Korus to the Talon Phoenix,  if so,  what were the differences?

Respectfully, 
Jose 
How they sound is already detailed above. Not a lot to add except now with more time I am way more impressed. Moabs are a much better speaker than I thought. Every tiny little thing, you hear it. One couple was over recently, said never felt so enveloped, like the stage was all around them. Made me realize, with some recordings it is like that. With others the stage is deeper. Always though the envelopment. It is entirely recording dependent. What you put on is what you get. Amazing. 

The Talon crossovers are pictured on my System page https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367 You can see at the top the original crossovers were potted. The new X crossover is on the board Mike sent me, and you can see how I coated it with TC and other PPT stuff.

Compared to Moab, the Talon uses roughly the same quality level caps (hard to be sure) but seems to have higher quality inductors and resistors. One of the main things I liked about the Khorus was smooth natural inner detail. Pretty sure the higher quality crossover parts had a lot to do with this. High expectations for the crossover upgrades I have planned for the Moabs.

You can see from the pics the Khorus were on BDR. That was the best, until springs. Only found out about springs after Khorus. Then found Townshend Podiums are a LOT better than mere springs. Of course the Khorus would be improved a lot by this if I still had them, but still nowhere near Moab level. For all the accolades I have to say the Moab is in my opinion underrated. People are being conservative, probably due to all the flack they get for speaking the truth. Just sayin'.

Pretty sure I never heard Phoenix. Might have. The last/best Talon I heard was when I was at CES, which was I think a little before Phoenix came out. I seriously doubt anything in that time frame any price can hold a candle to Moab. Hardly anything today can. Eric's MTM technology is just too good.
Path Audio resistors
Alumen Z-Cap bypassed with Duelund Silver foil (JDM series)
FoilQ inductors

If you’re concerned about the resistance difference you can run a pot (variable resistor) in series with the inductor (ensure the resistance is lower on the inductor you order) and you can tune it, measure the pot and replace it with the suitable Path Audio resistor. As I have actually seen the circuit it would be easy to measure the resistance in total across the inductor and resistor to the speaker terminal.

All items could be crimped and soldered point to point using Cardas Quad Eutectic Solder.

IF you don’t want to go to the expense of purchasing a measurement microphone, maybe a kind Agoner might let you borrow one to measure before and after, on and off axis response. Honestly, measurements aren’t the enemy.

Just a thought, or two :-P