Russco, QRK, Sparco, Garrard, Thoren, Fairchild, Roberts

Ok I have several of the old rim drive broadcast TT. Russcos, QRKs, Sparcos, and
a few more. Also different Transcriptions, Thoren TD 121, 124s, 224s, and Garrard 401s.
Had a Fairchild (stolen). What's your favorites, or ones not mentioned.

Plinths, what are you using, what have you made, what have you bought??

I'm into the actual repair and mods of the machine more than the use, I love um', but
they are used.

Have any tips, tricks, suggestions?

Regards
Ag insider logo xs@2xoldhvymec
I used to have an old Presto with rim drive and a 16" platter. We used to stand on it and engage the motor until we got dizzy- it had a lot of torque :)  Rim drive (different from idler drive) isn't the best way to do a drive mechanism if you want low noise...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-A65Xn79z8
The Prestos had washing machine motors like a lot of the broadcast units. LOL Fractal motors are heavy little guys. I though some of those were dual drive for the cutter.  Fairchild had a dual drive, so did Roberts..

EMT had some goodies too.. if your into recording, your own RtR stuff.

Check out my page click the single PIC it will show you a 1" red oak plinth. It has a Russco sitting in place.

That is about 50 - 60 lbs. They are stair flats. They make a serious plinth.
I rubber line the plinth, silicone the top platter, dampen the chassis with black hole. The chassis to plinth I use a dampener also. SPRING mount the bass to whatever you use. Blocks or Butcher Block stacked on rollers for me..

I'm working on a plinth with Queen Ann legs (pretty heavy short legs). That is turning out to be a bit of a project also.... Again Red Oak..
Same idea as the speakers..

I want my 750 Fairchild BACK that got nicked.. THAT ticked me off...
6-7 year ago now.. It was a 16".  I still can't figure how they moved a 250 lb unit across a wet yard.. Hercules with snow shoes is all the cops could figure, I figured the same.
I tried checking out your page on here and all I get is a spinny thing that never stops. It's under "Systems"Do you have pictures posted else where?As far as your Fairchild, that really sucks. It had to be someone that knew exactly what you had. Someone that had been in there. Average thief would have no clue to its value.

BillWojo
atmasphere, I have a trick or two for rim drives.. Has a lot to do with dampening the platter and the way the roller engages the platter, it needs to follow the platter not push it. If that makes sense. Second is isolation of the drive with a thrust made of teflons and controlling it with shims and wave washers to preload it.

I can get them as quiet a Garrard and 5 times as powerful.. Mine are completely up to speed in 1/2 a revolution... You can truly Que with no motor heat up.. 24/7/364 (one day for maintenance a year) :-) 2 hours every month for 12 months.. 1 24 hour day per year..

I have 5 or 6 Russcos and a couple QRKs right now, Harris or two..

Always a 6 - 12 Thorens here too..

401 Garrard, if someone needs one... 50hz 220, I’m sure I have a 60 hz pully.. BUT the 50hz 220 is all the rage with the new PS/converter. 1K or so for the new PS..

I like them with a separate armboard too. Can always add a blank and plinth mount your tonearm.. I still have a 16" tonearm here somewhere.

Regards
oldhvymec, do you have any pictures and details of your Russco builds? I'm already planning to get rid of the ball on ball spindle thrust bearing with a ball on Delrin thrust pad. I have a new bottom bearing brass setscrew that I will machine for the Delrin insert pad.
I'm going to have Terry's Rubber Rollers rebuild my idler wheel a soon as I get the new oil lite bushings delivered for it. I also found a nice replacement on ebay that looks like a Audio Silente style with the o-ring type drive rim.
I also have new isolation mounts coming directly from LORD manufacturing so that I know they are fresh and not 20 year old NOS junk.While the chassis is out being powder coated hammertone grey I will go through the motor as well.
So any hints and tips to quiet this down will be appreciated. Pictures help a lot as well. Do you post on any other forums?
BillWojo