Brand Synergy

What’s your thoughts on brand synergy?
20-30 years ago when I tried to persuade brand synergy I thought it very important but not anymore. Now my approach is more customised and brand synergy not important at all for me. Is brand synergy something more than just tech specs matching for you?
surfmuz

Speaker manufactures I know "voice" their speakers usually to amps that have no problems driving the load of any speaker, and won’t act like tone controls. This way they know the amp is staying flat and neutral so the voicing of their speakers will match as many amps as possible.

You’d be nuts to voice a hard to drive speaker to say a SET amp with little feedback, because it would sound terrible then on amps that have great control. They’d only do that if they supply the amp and speaker as a package. Then that could be categorized as Brand Synergy, like below did between two makers that "were" in bed together at the time

Like Linn/Naim used to do with Linn Isobaric’s and Naim 250’s. Put a Krell on Isobaricis and then they had no bass. As the Naim 250 didn’t have very good damping factor and this blew out the bass a little, but was perfect match for the overdamped design of the Linn Isobaric’s.
A very good marketing ploy way back then in the 70’s 80’s, they sold stacks of that pairing.

Cheers George
millercarbon8,880 posts04-25-2021 3:39amWhat is this synergy of which you speak?

And when you're done with that one, What is PRAT?

Maybe definitions might be helpful.

Synergy is behavior of a system that cannot be predicted.

Prat (BRITISH Slang) is an incompetent or stupid person; an idiot.

I'd conclude that Synergy is when something performs differently to what its measurements might suggest and PRAT originally referred to a person's buttocks, so when you call someone a prat, you're also calling them an arse.

Maybe we can combine the two, so when you rely on science and ignore synergy, you're a prat.
I think glupson hit the nail on the head!

If you have separate amp and preamp the same brand can provide synergy from one remote...other wise I believe beauty is in the ear of the listen who paid for the equipment.