Used Magico V3 or Rockport Mira 2

I am using these pair in a Home theater/2 channel setup. So setup will not be ideal for both in my room(wall treatment wise). The Magico V3 can be found for 15k used and the new Rockport Mira 2 can be had for 16.5k. Is Rockport better than the V3. Rockport dealers are exclusive and harder to find. But have heard great things from owners. The Magico have been widely reviewed as positive. My setup is more 20-25% audio and the rest Home theater. Would I really benefit from one over the other. I have a Sim w-5 amp and classe ssp-800. Any feedback will be appreciated.
yeung_heung
Fiddler, the question is intent. Actually I don't waste people's time unless I'm serious in a purchase whether it's a car, shoes ... I respect their business and guess I'm in the minority.
Knghifi...the guys at Goodwins are very professional and recognize that there will be many tire kickers who come in to audition equipment who will then shop the business around. They get it and recognize the encroaching competition from the internet, Agon, etc...Because they get it, they also understand that to differentiate themselves and win the business, they go above and beyond the call of duty in servicing clients because that is what lands them the sale vs. a competing channel. I have been dealing with Paul, Al, and Jim there for many years and they all recognize the competitive landscape and what they have to do to win (they will compete within reason on price but where they try to differentiate is on service - pre- and after-sale service). As for the OP going to Goodwins to listen to both Rockports and Magicos to compare the speakers of interest to him, it sounds like he does not have local options, in which case, Goodwins can actually sell him the speaker of his choice since he does not apparently have local dealers who carry either line, otherwise he would have listened to the speakers locally. So I see no issue with the OP using up their time to audition especially if they have a fair chance of selling to him if indeed he does not have any local dealers. My 2c. Best wishes.
No disrespect to anyone in particular.......but....I find it absolutely laughable that the Magico Mini II can be weak in virtually "any" area,if set up in a good room,with proper matching equipment!.....and this ain't so easy,which is one reason why some folks might 'think' it has weaknesses.this speaker has one weakness,which is...."it is No longer available"!.....Which computes(to me) as a CLASSIC!!

Btw,I am not even in the hobby any longer,as I am attempting to become a legitimate musician on 2 instruments(more of a struggle than anything 'audio') -:)But I do know good sound!

With correct room placement(and a properly matched room dimension....often overlooked)this design is ruler flat,and when we (a good sized group of serious hobbyists/former reviewers) often compared a slew of reference Lp's(from original RCA's to original pressing Mercury,Decca,Emi etc) on this speaker which had an uncanny ability to sound "real"......Both in tone and dynamics(and I mean DYNAMIC).

Measured freq was ruler flat down to the high twenties(yes,we measure this,and we felt the "still superb room" was slightly limiting it going down even further)....And if that is not good enough for some folks,you are in a kidding yourself(no disrespect,btw)...

Even on mid 1990's digital Cd's the room SHOOK....Big Time!

I still believe it's tweeter is SOTA!I've heard few designs(after 40 years in the hobby)that can play as dynamically,and "hold" it's 'correct' harmonic accuracy/pitch accuracy as well as the Magico Mini II....No easy feat!....I remember one day,hearing a sota NOLA Grand Reference set-up,in NYC, a few hours before hearing a Mini II set up,and I got tired of the Nola Grand(mega system,btw) after 45 minutes.The MINI II,I could have(and did) listen to all night!

As for tonality,it happens to have very few peers....Sorry if this ruffles anyone's feathers,but I've heard this design on quite a few occassions,and helped set them up too.

Btw,I don't own a Magico product,but had many,many years in the hobby and heard a load of superb systems(many in the homes of N.Y. based reviewers,from TAS to Stereophile to web-journalists' homes).

I had heard EBM's system a few times in the past,and can say with confidence.......He's got "IT" right!it does not get much better,IMO!That was awhile ago,but I have no doubts it is still true.

I'd gone to other "serious/reviewers'" homes in the same day as hearing the EBM system(consisting of 'perfectly" driven Mini's....not to mention a music collection to die for,both digital and analog)and always left thinking it did not get "meaningfully better" than what EBM was putting forth.

I am in no way friends with anyone on this forum,and only check in on rare occassions,but sometimes one needs to attempt to set the record straight!

I like Rockport products btw(sheesh the table was amazing,in one system i'd heard it in)but I don't think the speakers9though superb0 will occupy the same exalted space as the "original" and "amazing' Magico Mini II!!

Only my 2 cents worth,but I'll stick to it!
Sirspeedy,
Your 2 cents is as welcome as anyone else. I don`t see any 'record' that needs to be set straight. Your post is full of passion and conviction but like all the posts here is simply an opinion. As has been said several times, some will love this speaker and others won`t, plain fact.
This is is true for any brand of component available, Magico is no different.Those who enjoy them will continue to do so.
Regards,
Charles,yes you are correct.No record needed to be set straight here.I admit this is only my(and a few other folks')opinion.No harm meant at all,as there are many wonderful designs.

Still,in my 40 years in the hobby no speaker had impressed me as much(I "had" big Avalons set up in a dedicated room,btw)as the Mini II.A small footprint,amazing aesthetics,incredible top to bottom performance,all in a sealed design that did not color the bass,or any other part of the sonic landscape.Could please the "wife" too!What's not to like?

Oh,I forgot this is audio! -:)