Best Bang for your Buck DAC ?

I just realized I’m in the market for a DAC , I don’t want to spend a fortune on a DAC either . I picked up a drangonfly cobalt a while back and am unimpressed  so I moved it to my CPU and sounds really good on my system there which when I bought it figured I would do anyway since it was my first DAC purchase . There are so many DACs I have no clue , how high up on the returns chart can I go at say $1,000 before I run into heavy Diminished returns resistance. I’m open to buying used . I was thinking about a Schitt made in the states ? Anyone’s take on best bang for buck DACs? 
ngiordano
Depends, how many inputs do you need, do you want volume control, are aesthetics important to you ? Are you willing to compare DACs without knowing which is which? If you want 1 or 2 inputs, volume control, not interested in how it looks and accept the reality of blind listening and confirmation bias I'd say somewhere between $100 and $300. After that you're getting into exotic designs and coloration, added distortion and filters . If you want a basic DAC that will perform beyond human audibly you can find a lot of choices. 
George
I know you love Soekris but the only forum member I know of that auditioned one vs the RME returned Soekris to Mod House. The RME truly sounded as good.
Plus it has remote configurable EQ, etc.
He can setup his own remote selectable loudness contours for lower level listening.
Big bang.
RME is very nice. Best DAC I have owned although I never had a DAC over 1800 so maybe I don't know what I'm missing. Could probably pick up a used one for 900ish. I got a demo model from Sweetwater for $1,034 plus tax. 

If you listen at low to mid volumes the eq on the RME really enhances the experience. I turn it off once I get up in volume.  

Jolida (black Ice) tube dac is really nice well under a grand new. I wish I still had mine to compare with my RME. 
Khadas Tone Board dac from Wesion TEK. $99! Add a 5 volt power supply and a case. The result is a DAC that competes with any four-figure unit!