Turntables.....A point of diminishing returns?

This post is sure to elicit many opinions. Everyone knows that a good audio system is a series of building blocks. Amps, speakers, cables, etc. To find the weakest block in any system can be a challenge to make a particular system sound as good as possible given the funds on hand. Almost anything can be improved upon. But, where does it end? There seems to be a point that an audio system, thru improvements, is about as good as it will sound. At least to the owner.
   No end to opinions about analog sound. Tables, carts, cables, amps, setup, and others. With all the renewed interest in vinyl, many are looking to optimize their current setup and others are content with what they have. Congrats to those. Other than looking at this as just a hobby, at what point does one just say...that's all my system is capable?
   I say this because in the audio world there is almost no limit as to how much money can be spent on equipment. If you fit into that category, I am envious. "Oh..Look at what this costs". But, as far as sound goes, is there really any tremendous benefit to spending mega dollars on equipment? I single out turntables because it's one of pieces that can demand those big dollars. One who can afford expensive tables probably has the funds for other expensive components.
   Look at this table. For $650k I wonder if it sounds many times better than the one I have.....
 http://www.dj-rooms.com/avdesignhaus-dereneville-vpm2010/

jrpnde
Lovin’ my pro-ject the classic as well as its bigger brother the classic sb...great turntables for the money, especially when you upgrade the cartridge to say a Hana EL or Goldring Eroica LX or a Ortofon Quintet bronze or black. Using both a Rothwell and a Jensen step up into a Tavish design tubed phono preamp, see no need to improve much further. Also own the music Hall MMF-7.3, another ridiculously good turntable for the money. I got the walnut version and run the stock 2m bronze on it, a great cartridge. I've only mentioned 3 of the 6 turntables I own. I'd much rather have a variety of TT's than one super expensive one, that would bore me to death. 
The equipment meant people have is way better quality than the equipment much of the music was originally recorded on....
very good question and point.

I heard a 1 million usd system
VS 100k system. same brand speakers and amps. diff level 

yes alot better the 1 million dollar one. it's like surround sound. and detail is out of the world  the sound cover the whole big room and very pleasant and transparent. 

but it doesn't mean buying the same turntable on 100k system  you become the 1 million dollar system level .. mileage varies and sometimes due to better integration they can get close. you need better components to show the quality. 

expensive doesn't really mean always better in system wise . in fact it gets tougher to setup and integrate. and I heard many  expensive setup sounds sound very bad.. 
buying a Ferrari doesn't make you a better driver if you know what I mean but the quality is there for you to exploit. 
there is a point where you can have spectacular turntable sound and for a lot less than 650k. That is just a fashion statement or bragging item, all about the look, not the sound.