Kind of Blue SACD on a whim.

I've been listening to jazz for only about a year. I can't say that I'm a jazz fan yet but I am growing more and more fond of Kind of Blue. Last night I was looking around on eBay and saw a Kind of Blue MoFi hybrid SACD. It was $30, new, and on an impulse I bought it.

I have never bought and do not own any SACDs. (I have an Oppo player). I also know nothing about MoFi other than an association with high production quality.

Anyway, I am interested in anyone's thoughts on this SACD from a quality standpoint. According to the dynamic range database virtually all releases of Kind of Blue are superb from a DR standpoint so that should not be an issue. I did read that on some CD releases prior to 1992 the timing was off which cause slight pitch issues. I am assuming this SACD would not suffer from that issue but have no way of knowing but probably don't have the ears or familiarity with the album to know.

n80
@n80
@whart 

Great posts today.  Everything very well said. 

Enjoy your journey n80.  Obviously many in the jazz crowd are very passionate about the art form.  Hopefully you'll let us know in 6-12 months how your exploration went.  (You'll get the most attention and best advice on "Jazz for Aficionados" - 26,000 posts.)
Thanks. I started the journey about 12 months ago but it just sort of faded away but now its getting rev'ed up again so who knows, maybe it'll take this time.

Just listened to Cannonball's "Somethin' Else" and really liked it. Miles shines on this one too.

I've lurked in the Aficianados thread a bit. Waters a little deep for me there. Jazz, like any other genre I suppose, is so broad and it is tough to just jump into random stuff. I think I'm going to follow the connections of the late 50s for a while. Late bop/early modal. Need to give A Love Supreme a few more critical listens. I like Blakey's "Moanin'".
n80
there is the current MoFi SACD as well as the Columbia late 1990's SACD (stereo only version). Both are excellent to my ears. It is simply a preference.

Happy Listening!
"I'm going to follow the connections of the late 50s for a while."

n80-
50'-early 60's might be "the pocket" of the "straight ahead" heavy hitters. Enough to keep you busy for sometime. After that period, many supporting sidemen  ventured on their own-post Bop, Fusion....

I own it and enjoy it very much.

I have zero issues with it and only pure enjoyment.

I almost always listen to it in my studio on the mastering system and it holds up really well techniquely and the performance is stellar.

You made a great purchase.