Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Birds update.
After spending some time with friendly and smart crows and after unsuccessful attempt to befriend with sea gulls, I met the gang who really appreciated my company. Pigeons.

I spent several days with them and it happened what I was afraid it would happen. I miss them. Most of all, I am afraid that they would miss me, meaning all kinds of seeds that I was bringing to them. Damn, now I will have to visit them more often.

I am not sure that I needed this.

However, if I ignore my emotional issues, I must say that I fully enjoyed taking photos of them, observing them, watching them fighting, talking to each other, seducing (!) by doing love dance, etc, etc...

It’s like entering the whole new little world full of life. Life that happens each day in front of our noses and we barely notice it since we are caught up in our daily duties and worries.

They give so much but ask so little. Animals of all kind.

Benny Golson ~ Lullaby of Birdland
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lgFwOdcyyG0

Nice Golson:

I watch and listen to birds and squirrels most days.   We have several bird baths in our yard.  We have a large group of Blue Jays and a sizable number of Cardinals and many many pigeons.  At dusk, the pigeons start cooing.  They can keep it up for hours.

Of course nature must have balance, so we also have our share of cats.   They hang out under the bird baths.   Everyone has to eat.

Birdland   --  Quincy Jones
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-uQMASvl3A

Cheers