More reports-How many corrupted CD-R's with time?

Answered another post where member reported that some of his CD-R's srated to go bad after just 3 to 4 years and thought I could get some more feedback posts.Imagine that favorite LP or tape collection that you expected to get 20 years or more out of start to go bad.Some of the Cd's I bought in 1983 still play though articles said doom and gloom ahead do to oxidation etc.But Red Book CD's use a thin plastic wafer punched with it's pits and a sprayed aluminum that has help up pretty well.But their is obvious difference where with recorded CD's you are essentialy melting a chrystaline metal (re-recordables overwrite simply increase laser temperature to erase previous data).Want to know if has happened with others.Some have said it is dependent on the brand of CD-R's used,the type of dye etc but I am not so sure.The RIAA will juimp with glee if CVD-R's carp out while I and others will weep.Until corprate data needed to stay intact will I think the problem (if it exists extensively) will change things and I am not sure Blue Ray or HD CDR's will address the problem because not enough time has elaspsed before they lose those files.Reports?Thoughts?
Chazzbo
chazzbo
Interesting article concerning this subject on enjoythemusic.com under: Boston Audio Society/CD-R Errors--A Worrisome Trend. Actually kind of scary....worth a scan.
Wondering how optical hologram 1 TB discs will fair versus CD-R's.Laser will switch holograms to 1/0's in 60 layers if I remember right with no reflective material (you can see through them).How stable (interview with New York research company say's better).Should be on market in two years at huge price meaning they will be business only for a while.But this could be a big change.
Chazz
I have had CDR's go bad, usually when left in the car in extreme temperatures. What do you expect? It is a practically disposable medium with no thought paid in design toward archivism.
Chashmal
Your right there.Crystalline metal that is meant to be "altered" (burning right?).If you go to a kid in the know at a best buy they will tell you no video on optical discs or DV will last as long as best tape formats which are stored in cool dry place (plastic bag with silicate say or even a bag of boil in bag rice).Then you need to have second copy to play and one to archive.I have thought about and if one is serious about keeping CD (or LP recording) redundancy or defense in depth.Get DVD clamshells for two CD,make label for outside with code near center if worried about dye problems,make one full WAV copy and on second CD make a copy or multiples of compressed files you use say one FLAC that you use and one in 320 etc.Then you get one you won't play and back up for a Hard Drive copy of one or both compressed file formats because as they say there are two Hard Drives.Ones that have died and ones that haven't.Given some of my CD's are now impossible to find or ones I have downloaded might not be borrowed or downloaded leaving it up to just a HD is a risk.Yeah cost for this might be nuts for a CD which will always be in print for some artists but if I could find a lent copy of "Pee Wee Ellis and Horace Parlan 'Gentle Men'" used for $65 (or $100) doubts are I would find another.Wouldn't want to take bought copy for driving and if I got a DL or a borrowed copy might not ever find again.Ones you might count on like the 60 plus Grateful Dead "Dicks Picks" many are now OOP and go for big $$$ so unless it's Led Zeppelin or Babs Streisand don't count on it being out there.And I have friends who I pass on OOP stuff to and the costs of two discs and a clamshell is way they can have multiple backs up's for the computer or HD which can go kabloo-ee and time.
Cheers
Chazz