The myth of "best" in audio needs to be addressed by all of us

After spending a year and half deeply immersed in audiophilia (with so much enjoyable benefit), I've identified my tendency (seemingly share by many) to chase the fantasy of "best" in this perfectionistic hobby/pursuit.  It leads to obsessiveness, second-guessing, acrimony between audio tribes, and personal insecurity when reading these forums and all the reviews.  

But, thinking about it, how could there ever be a "best" component, cable, or speaker for listening to music.  This is a subjective experience!!! 

From a purely measurement/engineering perspective -- "best" could mean a lot of things (but they don't automatically mean more enjoyable sonics). 

In listening and enjoying music, there is no "best" -- only "favorite".  And even "favorite" can change -- it certainly has for me.  I've gone back and forth multiple times on all sorts of gear preferences. You can like what you like, you don't have to defend it, and nobody should mess with it!

Anybody else want to fight the harmful myth of "best" in audio?
redwoodaudio
Here is what Stereophile says about its Recommended Components list:

Sidebar: How to Use the Listings

The classes each cover a wide range of performance. Carefully read our descriptions here, the original reviews, and (heaven forbid) reviews in other magazines to put together a short list of components to choose from. Evaluate your room, your source material and front-end(s), your speakers, and your tastes. With luck, you may come up with a selection to audition at your favorite dealer(s). "Recommended Components" will not tell you what to buy any more than Consumer Reports would presume to tell you whom to marry! Heaven forbid.

So they are not saying pick a bunch of Class A components and you'll have the best system. 

I hope we all know that there are a many very good systems out there, that many lower cost systems sound better than many higher cost systems, and that we will never get unanimous agreement on which system sounds the best.

Enjoy your music and your audiophile journey!  
@bob540 - even "best for the money" is a fantasy. How would anyone ever know? I've told myself I had "best for the money" gear before, and it made me feel more comfortable, but I realized I just could not ever know. 

I bought expensive tube monoblocks (wavestream kinetics m100s) used because of a recommendation. They're awesome. But because I can't ever know if they're the "best" or even "best for the money" (about $7k), asking myself if they are "best" or "best for the money" is a trap that pulls me into anxiety. I'm trying to stop.

Why do we need this concept of "best" at all anymore? Let the marketers mess with it, but let's take the pressure off in general when we're at home. 
@tomcy6 - well put

I hope we all know that there are a many very good systems out there, that many lower cost systems sound better than many higher cost systems, and that we will never get unanimous agreement on which system sounds the best.
@douglas_schroeder - why not a productive conversation? You don't feel pressure around having "the best?"

I happened to purchase one of your recently recommended DACs, the Wells Audio Cipher, and am very happy.  Despite its manufacturers claims that it's the "best DAC in the world," it would be silly of me to buy into that hype. "Best I've heard in my system," yes, but I've only heard 3 DACs in my system ever!  I'm trying to keep sane by just enjoying it... 
@testpilot said

There is no universal best.....just a best for you
Maybe not even a "best for you," in reality. Maybe a "good enough."  How could you ever know it was "best?"

Maybe I care more about the words we use than most, but "best" has a lot of baggage in audio and the culture generally, as prior posters have stated. 
The best system for me, if there is one, is a "relative best one" determined by a ratio :

I use the ratio S.Q./price....

I am pleased then to own one among the best system in the world....Thanks to my "no cost" embeddings controls.... And vintage gear....

😁😊😎