Classical Music for Aficionados

I would like to start a thread, similar to Orpheus’ jazz site, for lovers of classical music.
I will list some of my favorite recordings, CDs as well as LP’s. While good sound is not a prime requisite, it will be a consideration.
  Classical music lovers please feel free to add to my lists.
Discussion of musical and recording issues will be welcome.

I’ll start with a list of CDs.  Records to follow in a later post.

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique.  Chesky  — Royal Phil. Orch.  Freccia, conductor.
Mahler:  Des Knaben Wunderhorn.  Vanguard Classics — Vienna Festival Orch. Prohaska, conductor.
Prokofiev:  Scythian Suite et. al.  DG  — Chicago Symphony  Abbado, conductor.
Brahms: Symphony #1.  Chesky — London Symph. Orch.  Horenstein, conductor.
Stravinsky: L’Histoire du Soldat. HDTT — Ars Nova.  Mandell, conductor.
Rachmaninoff: Symphonic Dances. Analogue Productions. — Dallas Symph Orch. Johanos, cond.
Respighi: Roman Festivals et. al. Chesky — Royal Phil. Orch. Freccia, conductor.

All of the above happen to be great sounding recordings, but, as I said, sonics is not a prerequisite.

128x128rvpiano
Jim,

Thanks for the recommendation.
‘I’ll certainly check it out.
‘I’m glad you liked the “Figaro.”
it really sent me flying.
I enjoyed the Hadelich Bach very much.  You’re right, his approach is low key, very different from the usual.  Effective though.
 His bringing out of the contrapuntal lines at the beginning of the Chaconne was very impressive.
‘I have a further recommendation for you of another wonderful string player: cellist Pablo Ferrandez.  His new recording entitled “Reflections,” is one of the top recordings of the year for me.  It contains mostly Rachmaninoff, but also Spanish composers.  His tone is to die for.  He sounds like Piatigorsky, which is not surprising in that he’s playing on Piatigorsky’s Stradivarius cello. The playing and sound is really extraordinary. It’s also available on Idagio and Qobuz.
‘Enjoy!
Beethoven
VIOLIN CONCERTO IN D MAJOR
Anne-Sophie Mutter (violin)
New York Philharmonic  --  Kurt Masur
DG SACD    Recorded 2002

The Notes Consist primarily of a conversation between Joachim Kaiser and Sophie Mutter.  ASM: "It was in 1978, a year after my debut with Hebert von Karajan.  He thought I should study the Beethoven next, which I did for half a year with my teacher Aida Stucki.  Then, as agreed, I traveled to Lucerne to play it for Karajan.  But a little way into the piece he said to me:"Go home and come back next year."   (This is so 'German' of the Big Guy.)
"Beethoven certainly never intended with this concerto to oblige violinists' cravings for technical antics"

Beethoven: Violin Concerto In D, Op.61 - 1. Allegro ma non troppo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Wc1cIJBRE

Excellent booklet with wonderful insights into ASM, HvK and Beethoven.  Thick booklet with glossy color photos and LARGE type. :)   Includes a Complete Roster of the NYP.

Cheers

Questions to The Frogman:

At the end of the roster list of the NY Philharmonic  there is this:

"The New York Philharmonic uses the revolving seating method for section string players who are listed alphabetically in the roster."

What does this mean?

Thanks

Cheers
Each string section (1rst violins, 2nd violins, violas, cellos and basses) has a “Principal” (“Concertmaster” in the case of the 1rst violins), an “Associate Principal”, and in some orchestras an “Assistant Principal” in addition to the “Principal” and the “Associate Principal”. In some orchestras a player auditions for and would hold a specific chair in a specific stand (usually two players) in the section and that is where they will always sit.

A very smart alternative method is the revolving seating method. In this method, with the exception of the “Principal” players, who will always sit in the first stand of the section, the other section players will rotate and take turns sitting in the various stands. The rotation can take place for different concerts or for different works within a concert. This allows each player to have an opportunity to sit in closer proximity to the section’s principal (and conductor) and avoids any one player having to sit in the last stand of the section which is sometimes comprised of a single player. There are very real musical advantages to this method.