Maggie LRS so ridiculously good

I ordered a set of the LRS just to be able to say I have lived with Maggies at least once.  I've had a lot of speakers and some big dog expensive ones like Kef Blade and Revel Salon 2 to name a couple.  These 650 dollar LRS bring as much enjoyment as anything I've ever heard in so many ways.  They don't love hard driving music for sure but for quiet listening or mellow type music they will give you transcendent moments.  I swear they are breaking in or something and becoming a little more dynamic than when brand new.  These have to be one of the greatest hifi bargains of all time.  My 30 watt Pass 30.8 drives them well.  I had 3.6 maggies many years ago and I snubbed them, thought they were so compressed sounding but maybe I was wrong or not using the right amp.  These are just wow and so impressive what you can get for the money.  I have a feeling a killer amp is a big part of the equation with these but even with a Naim Uniti Atom in a smaller space these are still awesome.  This has to be the ultimate apartment speaker for someone who can't turn it up very loud and likes to listen late and night, you can really enjoy these at very low levels.  Anyway I just wanted to put my enthusiasm on public record, if you are thinking of pulling the trigger do it and also give them some time don't write them off to quickly.  I wish I had a separate space so I could always have a set of maggies ready to listen to when the mood and music was just right.  
128x128ejlif
Today I'm wondering: I recently mentioned my decades-old thoughts of a Quad ESL/sub system.

Does anyone have the breadth of experience to comment on the LRS vs. the original Quad when paired with an appropriate sub?  I've never heard either combination, although, of course, I've listened to the Quads without sub.  The price of the LRS is so reasonable it begs the question.
Agree with Kaco’s post
Really like these and I actually feel the bass is for the most part adequate, especially for classical music. If I want to be blown away by The Wall for instance, then my Crites speakers fit the bill.
If the bass is adequate or not from LRS/MMG?

I have the all the stuff for measuring with a calibrated microphone. Running sweeps for a couple of years now on my and several audiophiles friends requests.

For the old MMG in my room setup far from walls. I see that the frequency response goes down to ~50hz there it is dropping like a rock.. So MMG in my room is not playing anything below 50 Hz.

Yes, I could also say that "oh, it works for X type of music." BEFORE I knew better..

How can i know that playing down to 50 Hz is not enough?!

I have integrerated with a DSP, measurements and for example correction with PEQ with other things, that DSP is only controling my two 18" open baffle with a separate amplifier.

Even when it is only the bass and it amplifier that the DSP is controlling.
That DSP is doing 6 DIFFERENT duties/optimizations! (No DSP on the MMG)

But to get to the chase. I can then enable the bass amplifier and not the amplifier to the MMG. So I can clearly only hear what music content there is in the bass despite:
1. The crossover point is in the low range of 53 Hz and below
2. At 53 Hz it is a very steep slope of 48 dB/octave

So more or less only playing frequencies below that the MMG can not create and nothing else I can TODAY say with confidence.

That there IS stimulating music information EVEN on a Jazz trio (acoustical instruments!).
And on LP for example that everybody knows "Dark side of the moon" and we know there in the background there is a low rumbling "hart beat" sound.

Yeye everyone has heard that you say.. But actually there is several more "hart beats" sounds that is lower in level AND on couple more tracks than you probably did not know of. When those is not apparent and not played by a normal system.
Yes there is more on the d a r k side.. ;)
(And that on a LP!)

(Remember my subwoofers plays lower than my cartridge and tonearm resonance frequency! So you guys and girls that know what a rumble filter is can as you already suspect understand that it is much needed. My DSP is doing that duty also when it is needed during LP playback..)

But those MMG are gold! They can do THINGS that I never had heard a speaker do.

I now have a pair of LRS speakers - and looking back at these comments amaze me that some have paired 30 watts / 60 watts with these speakers and getting good results!

There was I looking for a Hegel H190 or H200 to power them with.

Have any of you chaps still got the little LRS or moved on?

@chopandchange 

Yes I still have the MMG.

Things that I have done since my post old post here in the thread.

As I said I crossover the MMG at 53Hz there the Maggies roll of.

I put up my super upgrade bookshelf speakers and could do A/B comparison the MMG were better in every way you name it.

Expect in one area!

I hade a test track that had some constant bass line and it sounded better on the bookshelf. I with a frequency analyze I could determine that the frequency were 80hz.

So when I have two 18" right and left woofers. Those are a bit behind the MMG and the DSP time align them ao that the MMG and the woofers are playing from the same Place and arriving at the same time to your ears.

(In other words it is like having a 3 way and no issue with localization when they are more or less where the MMG is)

The second thing is that the 18" woofers plays up to 2000 Hz linearly.

So then I thought: why not let the 18" woofers play the 80 Hz instead of that the MMG is doing it.

So i made the crossover point at 100 Hz instead so the woofers play now the 80 Hz plus the Maggies would get some relief.

When I re-did the A/B listening tests now the bookshelves had not the upper hand any longer and the 80 Hz bass line in the song were produced by the woofers as good as that the bookshelves could!👍

Next thing I have done on my +40 year old MMGs that has the exact same plate/binding posts/fuse/attenuation connection.

I modified and put a good quality blinding posts. Plus scraped the fuse and attenuation steel components and went directly to the crossover.

To be honest I usually don't hear any difference when I do tweeks.. And I usually/sometimes let the tweek be in the system when I have not heard any degradation either.. but when no noticeable sonically improvement were the tweeks worth it.?!

But this time when all that crap steel connectors and all the solider joints, were removed from the signal path I heard a real improvement. And I were just baffled with the thought that nobody that are listening to their MMG/LRS in orginal condition have yet NEVER heard their full potential! 

(The silly signal path for the Tweeter on the MMG/LRS:

First bad steel binding post for your speaker wire, then solider a lead to that solider to the fuse holder then contact with the fuse and the little thinn fuse lead and another end of the fuse and its clip holder solider wire to the steel binding post for the jumper (attenuation) to the other steel binding post and the last soldier to the lead that now eventually can go to the crossover..) 🤣