What capacitor would you use to upgrade Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary?

I’m going to swap out the generic 6.8uF cap on the tweeter side of the crossover. Wharfedale was very supportive and sent a schematic.

Note: If you have opinions that gear shouldn’t be modified I’m not interested. I can easily swap things in and out seamlessly. Also, my view is that manufacturers have much slimmer margins than we might think. Having built stuff and modified stuff, we experience first hand the choices that engineers and bean counters must make. My sense is that the Linton can be elevated further because of this. And, capacitor swaps can be more influential (and yes, good or bad) than swapping power cords/cables.

The Linton doesn’t do anything wrong. Some might say it’s a sinner of omission? It’s overall smooth, non-fatiguing, and can really keep singing as you push power at it. I wouldn’t mind a touch more air and definition on top--without losing the smoothness.

• Jantzen Superior Z-Caps?
  • Clarity?
  • Obligato? Man, these are reasonably priced.
  • Auricap? Another smooth, reasonably priced cap.
  • I’d love to try Audyn True Copper Max or VCAPs but that would be pretty pricey.

I’d prefer not to break the bank, which is the problem. I haven’t set a budget or priority for this project. 6.8uF values can get very pricey. So, I suppose it should be kept to less than or equal to $100 per cap. I could be persuaded to do more. :)

Any thoughts?

Calling Erik Squires! @eriksquires ! I know you have some intel here Sir!

All suggestions on caps welcome!

Thanks all!
128x128jbhiller
Two capacitor threads in a row!

If you haven't run into it already, humblehifi's capacitor information has always been spot on in my experience.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

And boy do they charge you, but Duelund Tinned-Copper CASTs are just wonderful. I've got their 4.7ufs on my Coincident PREs' tweeters and it was a huge upgrade.

It's just crazy how much caps influence the sound.
@nmmusicman I also really enjoyed those caps (used them as pre-amp output capacitors). A little bass shy in that location on my system, but not an issue at all for crossover duties. They have a beautiful, rich, and silky presentation.  Humble hifi said something like "bowling alley depth" and that was so true.
I just purchased a set of these speakers as well. I am also thinking of upgrading the 6.8 uf cap on the tweeter. The Guy in Germany (Mike) from HEADquarter audio used a Jantzen Standard Z and you can hear the difference between the modified and un-modified speakers. People are commenting that it not only improves the smoothness of the tweeter but it improves dynamics and the midrange as well. That Cap is about 8 bucks. After reading the "humblehomeadehifi" test on caps I decided to purchase the   Clarity Cap CSA MKP 250VDC and 630VDC - 5% tolerance.  They were 13 bucks. Once completed I will post my objective results. 

Have to say when I first plugged in the Linton's I was not impressed. The tweeters were really harsh and the bass was boomy. The tweeters got much better after about 10 hours of use and I think they are continuing to get better. The speakers really have to be placed well in the room to get the bass to sound even decent. However I probably have 40 hours on them know and the bass is still improving. I also made a 2 inch platform for the speakers which I believe improves the overall sound from my listening position.  It is a much different sound than my old VMPS RM30 Series II Hybrid Ribbon speakers which they replaced. I had to get use to that difference. And I must say that I like the midrange very much and these speakers are growing on me. I may change more of the crossover parts in the future or I may just be happy with the tweeter upgrade. Not sure I want to change them that much. 

@jbhiller  who did you write to get the crossover schematic?  Would you mind sharing it? I would love to know what value the rest of the parts are before I open it up.
If anyone needs the schematic, PM me.  Already got you mgrissom. 

My Lintons got stuck in a media room.  I can't get them out.  Why?  They are hooked to a $750 Marantz receiver playing television and movies.  That combo is wonderful.  None of that television sound glare or movie track pitchiness plagues me. Just smooooooooth.  But, I feel guilty as they deserve to be in a proper two channel setup.  
Being a former tweaker who used to mod gear, by cap upgrades and etc. I’d leave your Whafedale’s alone. Not to bust on your Marantz receiver, but you may find out by tweaking your speakers they will reveal the shortcomings of your receiver. What’s is your Marantz? I’d have to study the crossover of your Lintons, but how are you sure you shouldn’t tackle the inductors first as that’s where manufacturers cut corners before the caps. Caps for the most part are cheap compared to the inductors. 
Probably get more bang for your buck by buying some decent Hubbell hospital grade receptacles and upgrading the power cable on your Marantz and source components... assuming you haven’t already. If you have your Marantz plugged into a computer or less power surge suppressor, plug it directly into the wall as that will be the best tweak for no money you can do. Are you using the Linton stands? Not sure how the speakers are coupled to the stands, but if they’re just sitting there, use three squares of bluetak per speaker. Good luck and have fun.