Best used TT for under $1k?

Hi All! A friend of mine is in the market for a turntable and I offered to help. Do any of you have an opinion on good value options in the used market for under $1k?
Thanks!
thebrokenrecord
Chakster, maybe you can explain for the OP, and to all of us, the difference in sound between the Pioneer and Technics? This would be most helpful because I've never compared them so I don't know. 

Also, how could you possibly know that we all purchased our Pioneer tables "before Technics made their latest mk7 model few years ago!"
I purchased my Pioneer in 2020, so you're wrong there. 

I hold no malice toward Technics, and have no doubt it sounds fine.  But for now the Pioneer sounds very good for a budget-friendly table.  

Tom (the bad example) in Sacramento
Since the OP was asking for a "Used turntable" under a grand, may I suggest a VPI or a SOTA.
@4hannons OK

The difference between Pioneer and Technics explained million times on this forum, you can use search option for more info.

Pioneer made a "clone" of Technics with some improvements over the old SL1200 mkII series to fill the niche of the most popular direct drive when Technics declared they are no longer manufacture any turntables, it was long time ago. Probably you missed the train, Pioneer PLX1000 is not bad, but Technics mk7 was made after GAE, G and GR series.

Basically, Pioneer cloned Technics size, plinth design, pitch, tonearm etc (just like many other manufacturers). To make sure you can look at any Pioneer turntables from the same era when Technics came out (in the golden age of vinyl), Pioneer was completely different. I like Pioneer old design MUCH BETTER. Their iconic Pioneer Exclusive series is outstanding and the price is crazy today - this is original Pioneer when it was a Hi-Fi brand. Pioneer tonearm was completely different too. And BTW long time ago Pioneer made PC-1000 mkII cartridge (with Beryllium cantilever) which is exceptional MM.

The main difference between Pioneer PLX-1000 and Technics MK7 turntables is CORELESS DIRECT DRIVE MOTOR for funny price available only from Technics.

I sold a Well Tempered Amadeus (mk 1) last year for $1,000. I upgraded to a table costing 4 X the price. Since then I purchased a pair of speakers and integrated amp (w phono) for a second system. As I once again plunge down the rabbit hole, I'm thinking about a budget table in the $1,000 price range. I often think to myself I have a small chance of getting the performance I had for that same $1,000. That new Simplex model with the plywood plinth looks quite nice in photos. So that's my story. Other flowing  ideas include a Rega table with a Funk Firm arm and upgrades, but I've not done any serious homework yet. 
I agree with dill. IME, the old entry level model VPI jr. can be a very good table for the money. I used one for years before upgrading.