Reel to Reel Woes

My 35+ year old Tascam 4 track finally gave up the ghost.  I told myself when that finally happened I'd upgrade to a Revox B77.  I have 60+ reels of tape that contain music  that can't be replaced.  I am finding basically 2 choices in the Revox market.  Either buy a "works great" but sold "as is" deck for $1,200 - $1,750.  or buy a completely refurbished/rebuilt deck for $5,000.  My system is a fairly high end one (Audio Research, Wilson) so, I'll need something of high sound quality,  Any Ideas would be appreciated.  

Thanks guys!!
jemmer01
You can find a used B77MKII at lower pricing and in very good condition.
What very good condition means, very good heads, very good motors and brakes, and a good cosmetic condition.
A deck of this vintage would need new caps, new bearings, new trimmer pots, good cleaning of contacts, new roller, and calibration for a specific tape you like.
So check first the tech who will be able to do the work.
Still parts for these decks are quite economical, apart from new heads, so you can bring it to new looking status, plus they are easy to maintain and have a great sound.
Of course with the refurbished ones you do not have to worry for any of the above extra work.

G

@jemmer01,

If you have 60+ tapes with irreplaceable music, why not go for a *new* high quality machine that will last you another 35 years? IMO, Used or refurbished machines are just not worth their asking price.

http://www.ballfinger.de/tape-recorder-m-063-h5

https://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/reel_to_reel_hq_tape_decks.htm

I am saving up to own m-063 :-) Let’s hope for more R2R titles cause there is nothing else that sounds as sublime as R2R.

Good luck!
Perhaps considered a step down from those brands, but I have had very good results with Teac's.

Last Prosumer Deck, x2000r (cobalt heads). X1000r is prior model, also very good results. Insides are the same, heads and meters different.

I do the mechanical adjustments myself, clean, lube, belts, resistor adjustments for tension, ff/rev speeds, brakes, align the reel decks, that keeps the expense way down, no need to get to/from a technician.

Electrical problem, I cannot handle it, remarkably, none of the Teac's have had electrical problems. I had a 4 forward track Tascam, gave it to a musician friend of mine. Same with a 4 forward track Teac I had. I play, I don't record anymore. Innards essentially the same.

2 X2000r's active here, 2 X1000r's for my sons, 3rd X2000r in a box waiting for the day ..., some heads, some meters, rollers ... I'm not living without R2R.

2 1/2 track B-77 both bought at the low end of status but functioning and brought up to date and hot Rod as needed. Check out Bottlehead forum for tips and help
proximity to good tech is valuable if you are not so inclined