R to r dacs

I was completely taken by the sq of the Aqua hi fi la scala dac during a demo.  Even with a discount the price is out of budget and would have to add a streamer as well
I have been following multiple impressions of direct to consumer units such as Denefrips pontus, audio gd 7 and Holo May.  Anyone with experience with the Aqua hi fi and the subsequent dacs?
TIA

tennisdoc56
I have the Terminator.  I compared that to a Mytek Brooklyn, PrimaLuna EVO 100 Tube DAC, and the D/A in a Lyndorf Integrated (Tdai 2170).  The Mytek had a lot of detail but cold sounding to me.  The Lyndorf was similar to the Mytek but it was a great all in one unit.  The PrimaLuna was the total opposite.  Liquid, round almost mushy to me.  The Terminator is just outstanding.  It's full sounding, detailed but not cold... it's fantastic.  That being said, I have read that the Pontus II is the "sweet spot" for value in the Denafrips line.  Most people say it sounds very similar to the Terminator.  I would strongly consider the Pontus II on your budget.
I too have the Aqua La Voce S2, purchased used for about $2,700 (I think new is about $5,000); and although it was wonderful as is, I had Aqua upgrade it to the S3 for about $1,500. It’s an outstanding DAC, very organic sound, unlike digital. Sound is rounded, without the loss of detail. Don’t know how they do this.
I have the entry R2R DAC from Denafrips the Ares II and even that is special, so musical, I’m blown away with how good it is. 
Now that Cees Ruetenburg is back at the helm at Metrum Acoustics, I would consider the Jade R2R DAC with their Ambre streamer. 

Those fit your budget and the Ambre streamer can come with a Roon SD card or a Volumio SD card installed or purchase both.

Im running their Pavane DAC with Ambre streamer w/ Roon

That was a great deal on la voce dac.  I saw a l scala used at 5k and waited to see cash flow receipts today and make an offer.  Gone