Is louder better?

Are there more details with higher volume?
128x128syntax
Many interesting responses hear that have lots of relevance.  But I don't believe their is a universal rule that can be applied to answer your question.  Tends on the music, mostly.  Recordings too can be sublime or harsh.  Obviously one sounds better at high volumes.  Some bands just need to be played at higher volumes.  Some LP tell you to crank it up. 
The room will have a say too.
Low volume works well with bad rooms/very little acoustic treatment. 

You can listen louder and longer in better rooms.
There's a sweet spot in my room probably because my room is lacking. But at least I can listen well within my range.
I tend to listen high 60s to high 70s. Any higher is disturbing.
Have a pretty refined $130K system and cranking it up does not necessarily distort but my ears seem to not like it louder. I may have inadequate power.
My speakers are 91db and minimum impedance 6 ohms and my amp is an Atma-Sphere M-60 which is 60 watts. I just rolled in NOS output tubes and the power is boosted to 80 watts. I clearly hear louder more comfortably. My speakers do like more power! Am waiting on Speltz Zero Autoformers which will change the impedance and raise to power to about 100 watts. Now anxious to hear even higher levels!
@noromance If you’re still hearing OK after the Jools Holland piano wank at top volume, things are going to be just fine!
Dear @syntax : With the same recording each room/system has its " perfect " SPL to listen it where it does not matters that you put the SPL higher you can't listen more detail.

All room/systems has a threshold about that can be as wider as the quality levels of each one room/system.

Now, in any room/system we can make that threshold wider about SPL if we puts at minimum all kind of distortions/noises developed through the room/system.

But yes you can achieve more details with higher SPLs if you are out of that threshold stratting range. In the other side if you are out of the threhold to range not even you will have more details but the other way around.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.