Raise your acoustic panels or die

Hi everyone,
I just had an interesting result while waiting on new panels from GIK. I've been pretty lazy in setting them up, nothing is hanging.  Everything is just placed on the floor around the speakers.  On the wall behind the speakers I have 2 Soffit Traps and 2 standalone panels inside them. Kind of like this:
(ST) (P) --------- (P) (ST)
With the traps standing up vertically. Last night I decided to put the panels directly on top of the soffit traps, giving me near floor to ceiling coverage in that corner. Lo and behold it raised the stereo image by a good 15-20 degrees or so. Orchestral instruments now appear above my tweets. 

So, if you have been leaving all your panels on the floor for convenience sake I strongly encourage you to raise them so they are more centered around the speaker, instead of at and below it.
erik_squires
"Cry bullies".

LOL! I am stealing that one, uncledemp!

My panels have been sitting on the floor for a while now, raising them being one of the dozens of "important" things to do around the house.

Thanks for the reminder, will raise them soon (I hope).

I think we covered this but I wanted to clear up my point, yes it's good to center your panels, but panels on the floor and ceiling and floor to ceiling can be very useful. If you have only a handful of panels though, I do suggest you raise them up.

The consultant at GIK in fact recommended several floor mounted panels for my own listening room, so having panels there is not, by itself, wrong.
I just lost a loved one from lazy and low acoustic panel placement. Don't let this be you. 
I just lost a loved one from lazy and low acoustic panel placement. Don't let this be you.

The frustration of knowing they could have been saved will never leave you.