PC Audio Interface Question:

SO im brand new to all this stuff, specifically setting up an audio system for an in progress PC build. After hours and hours of research, I cant seem to come up with answers to my questions. Maybe one of yall smart individuals can help me out a bit here.

So: What I am wanting is a fancy little box that takes input audio from the pc, and 2 outputs (one for a pair of headphones, the other are speakers so i can have the ability to turn one on and the other off depending on what im doing, without unplugging all the time as well as some basic audio control to fine tune). Ideally this magical box has the ability to boost and enhance the audio quality vs the default sound card on my motherboard. The other primary component id desire is microphone passthru to the pc. I dont have an xlr mic or anything like that, just one that hooks with a 3.5mm jack... maybe has the option for both in case i upgrade? More nice to haves are effects buttons and/or live sampling and playback for simple fun and gags on game chat. In an ideal world i would want something like the GOxlr, but im not paying $400+ thats nuts.

I see stuff like an "audio interface" but it keeps saying its for recording... i dont plan on "recording" anything. Just wany better audio quality, control, and ease of use on my desk for easy access... can i use these things in the way i described normally or does it ONLY "record audio"?

My current solution is a cheap 4 channel headphone amp so i can control my individual output volumes, but obviously no mic passthru from my headphones. I see stuff like the creative soundblaster k3, that seems to be more my speed but im just not sure if itll work how I want it to, and trying to get the "info for absolute drooling dummies" online has proven embarrassingly difficult. Any thoughts, suggestions, current setups are all appreciated!

mikedangelo
I was almost going to say "Headphone DAC/Preamp" until I got to your microphone requirement.  For that you definitely need an "audio interface".  Don't worry about the descriptions saying "it's for recording".  As soon as you have a microphone requirement, you are actually recording something (it's a 2-way input/output device).  It doesn't mean you have to use it for recording.  Many also have a headphone jack (although the sound quality may not be as good as something like a dedicated Headphone DAC/Preamp).

You can start at a low cost item such as Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB for $169.  It has everything you said you need.  You will need a 3.5mm to 1/4" TRS adapter for your microphone.  Just be sure to disable the "48V" phantom power button.

A more audiophile level audio interface would be the Black Lion Audio Revolution 2X2 USB Audio Interface for $399.

If you were willing to split up the audio output and the microphone input requirements into two different devices, you can get a really excellent Headphone DAC/Preamp such as the Topping DX7 Pro for $585.  Then just get a cheap Focusrite 2i2 for your microphone input. 

If you want to go further, you can even get an audiophile USB card, such as Matrix Element H or the JCAT.  (and even add an external linear power supply). 

You can take this as far as you want.  Costs would obviously keep going up.
You can go even cheaper than that if you're just wanting a simple I/O box.  

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MTrackSolo--m-audio-m-track-solo-usb-audio-interface

50 bucks.  Does all the things that Focusrite does, and has the same minor inconvenience of needing a 3.5mm to 1/4" adapter for your mic. Plug it into the instrument hole.  Done. 

PS:  Don't worry about the phantom power/48v.  That only goes to the XLR input anyway, which you won't be using.  And even if you were using it, phantom power will not damage a mic that doesn't require it.  It has no effect whatsoever, except the effect of powering a mic that needs phantom power. 

Mr. Auxinput is also correct that you'd be better served in terms of SQ to use a separate box for your audio output, because you're using a very, very inexpensive microphone, so spending large dollars on your input signal is a complete waste of money.  
I would argue that a more "audiophile" solution would be something by RME, Universal Audio, Apogee, or MOTU, the top names in DAC in the recording universe for decades.