2 Ohm Tekton Pendragons

I was just looking at the new models at Tekton. They have a very interesting new version of the Pendragon with the 5-driver array from the Dynamo Monitor. Looks good. But it's $2200/pr loudspeaker. Is there a similarly priced audiophile quality amplifier that can consistently drive a 2 ohm load. And that's an average rating which means that it must dip below 2 ohms at some frequencies. 

Does this puzzle anyone other than me?

Glen 
128x128spacecadet65
Easy peasy.. Hypex NC500 will drive them no problem..  If they are wired at 2 ohm, no idea on that one. I wouldn't, especially for a full range speaker.. limits the choices.

That is a class d amp speaker plain and simple.. 2 ohm stable A/B way to expensive. Class d for sure.. 1000.00 will drive the neighbors out for sure.. BUT 2 ohm? WAY to much distortion and the lower you go the higher it goes.. 8-16 ohms is still preferred for mids and highs.. 

Especially valve amps.. Night and day on small planars or ribbons when they are driven at 4 opposed to 16 ohms.. Just very clean at 16 ohms.. 
The tech side is "better bandwidth". The same reason I like valves for low mids, mids and highs.. They just work better there.. 

98% what on earth are they used for PA? How do you get 98% domes?
You better not have ANY noise in a system... That is really pushing it..
I think the 98% is a bit hype... I'd have to see the numbers on that one and how they came up with them.. They just don't work...

With todays amps and the headroom available for the dollars.. WHY? 2 ohms?

Regards
+1 @mapman  and +1 again.

I hope atmasphere sees this thread. Ralph often says 8ohm nominal is good and 16ohm is even better for his amps.

Eric makes fine speakers from all the comments and reviews I've read. But why 2ohms? 
98dB... Let's wait and see what John Atkinson's measurements are.

Hey there.

So yeah, impedance matters, in big and subtle ways.  Of course, in the big ways, the current draw can overtax an amp or limit the output voltage severely, or just blow it up.

In the subtle ways, impedance drops can alter the frequency response.  The amplifier's output will start to emulate the impedance chart.  Look at almost any tube amp review in Stereophile and the simulated speaker load for an example. It can also be why some cables sound different.

Having said all of this, Tekton often leaves me scratching my head.  While I find the use of many tweeters truly innovative, possibly derivative, but still very interesting I also find at times really questionable crossover design choices.  2 Ohms for 98 dB sure seems like one of them. 

Best,
E
My question is what consumer-positioned brand makes an amp circuit that is happy at 2 ohms and lower? That’s all.

My question would be who makes an amp circuit that has any emotional feelings, happy, sad, or otherwise? Seriously. If I were you and my amp had the impertinence to express any opinions whatsoever I would fire it on the spot. When it comes to amplifiers I hold the same opinion as Justice Thomas: "Mine’s inanimate."

Whole bunch of guys here swore up and down, went on and on about the superiority of high impedance loads. How I should get the 8 ohm Tekton. 4 ohms just won’t work with tubes. 4 ohms nominal means yada yada blah blah blah. I read it all. Until I realized it is all bunk. A guy who makes amps and probably knows a fair bit about amps, but does not build speakers and so what are the odds the guy who does build speakers knows more about speakers?

I am the last person to ask about circuits. I could not possibly care less what circuit does what. All I care about is does it sound good? What’s the difference? The difference is if you come hear my system you wind up posting comments about how the sound was so freaking good you had a hard time getting your mind around it. More than one, that is pretty much what they said. That’s the difference.

(Oh, and those comments were long, long ago! It sounds WAAAAYYYY better now!)

I seriously, seriously doubt that Eric Alexander went to the trouble of coming out with a new design and was so out of it he never bothered to notice nobody makes an amp that can drive it. That is really what you are saying. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Right.

I find it infinitely more likely that a bunch of armchair engineers can’t get their mind around the fact that if a speaker is 98dB sensitivity you can drive it just fine with just about anything, even a little flea watt amp, and impedance hardly even enters the picture. That’s all.