QUESTION about Installing "Matched" Tubes

Hey folks,

I have Conrad Johnson Premier 12 monoblock tube amps, 140W/side. And I’m replacing the old 6550 output tubes.It’s 4 6550 tubes per monoblock.

I usually just replace the tubes with whatever CJ recommends a the time. But this time I splurged for Svetlana Winged C NOS tubes. I bought two pairs of matched quads.

My question is: How do I go about placing them in the amps? Is it required, or best, to put each matched quad in each amp? Or does it matter which monoblock all the tubes go in?

I’m asking because at the moment I’m not sure which tubes are actually matched. They were measured before shipping, with the Plate Current and Transconductance number’s written on each tube. But frankly, not being an electronics guy, I don’t really know what they mean and how it helps me match the tubes, if they do.

So for instance, there are numbers on each tube:

46.8/4740
42.2/4410

41.4/4870
38.8/3970

42.8/4830
39.5/4470
41.3/4810

41.9/4770

Do I, for instance, try to find the 4 tubes in which the Plate Current numbers are closest in value? Or the Transconductance number?

NOTE: My CJ amp allows for user biasing of each 6550 output tube!

Thanks for any info!
prof
I go with the transconductance value if I can. Plate current works too but IME is less accurate.

You'll have to bias the tubes up anyway, but if they all show the same transconductance values the bias setting will be nearly the same on all of them. But the thing is, what the tube is doing at half and full power is important too. That is why I go with transconductance.

Thanks.  Well, after yogiboy's post I just slammed 'em in there and biased.

Atmosphere, maybe after a listen, tomorrow I'll re-arrange them.

So for each 4 tubes per amp, I just select the transconductance with the closest value number, correct?
Mercy, they aren't matched that well prof. That's for darn sure. If  within 15% is matched.. You're ok..  You want to match the first number and the second number is what is left in the tank.. pretty simple..

You want those to be in pairs to.. I'd have to see how CJ wired the power valve side, but v1,v2 and v3,v4. CLOSE.. the 46.8 is NOT matched... The numbers don't lie.. No matter how you arrange them the ONE will be over 10%.  It should be 5% MAX... That's if you like matched valves.. 10% is what Golden Lyon call matched.. 5% was the GE (Tung Sol) way..

YES they make a difference in SQ.. Either at the beginning of the valves life or the end, BUT not all of the valves life.. That is why we MATCH even with auto bias.. Just SLOPPY not to... Where we don't lose SQ we lose a LOT of time between valve changes because of ONE valve taking a dump..

Especially for the cost of NOS Matched.. LOL One set is good, though.

Looks like numbers from a Maxi Maker.. I own one.. Great testers..

Regards