A strange business model for audio

I purchased a Technic sug700 integrated amp used on here and while it is not perfect (only70 watts aside from class d) I  am enjoying my time with it, as Ricardo would say it looks and sounds marvelous. There were a number of factors I took into consideration including two stellar reviews.
So naturally, I am interested in Panasonic/Technics and what they might be planning. So the buzz is they are getting back in the USA in a big way. Yet when I try to contact either the parent corp. or Technics I either get a nonworking number, nonworking email address, or some useless computer directing me to those nonworking numbers. I also found out if something went wrong with the amp.it  would have to be shipped 2000mi to fla. When I called their dealers none of the locals had any of my amps in inventory and were awaiting their first shipments. I have not run across any ads or other reviews son I guess they are not reaching out to them why not I  wonder,if it was a kef LS50 there would be a dozen reviews. This product line has been out for at least 3 years. It is as if they abandoned the US market or the marketing and distribution  depts. are incompetent. Just saying my experence.

scott22
It is interesting to see how deeply people get involved with their electronics, knowing that electronics these days is usable and, eventually, a throw-away product.

It is a little annoying knowing the track record of a company not supporting their products after a while (SONY, for example) so it does become planned obsolence, but that is how it goes.
  • Philgo you are spot on. I try to avoid the conglomerates in favor of local small operations. the big corporations, in general, could give a rats patoot about the consumer. Unfortunately, when it comes to big-ticket items above my means I must go to the used market, such was this case. For the 99% of us life is about compromise. I might add for 30% of families in the USA who live check to check as we are seeing it's about survival.
A lot of the local small operations fold for unknown reasons and then there is when the owner dies, the company dies as well.  I try to stay away from those small companies. 
Once, I tried to contact JBL for some info on their 3419 monitors. I live just 14 miles from their corporate headquarters in Northridge, Ca. Just getting past the rep who answered gave me pause. When they finally got me in touch with someone, they had no idea their speaker was being sold by Music Direct, which had been selling them for quite some time, or that they were available anywhere for sale stateside.

The fish rots from the head, and that head can be from anywhere.

All the best,
Nonoise
It is hard to find any love for any piece if the company's CS is also
a piece. Smaller company the better in my book. Then I look at my
gear and have to admit that Tannoy is pretty slow to respond. Pass
Labs is as good as I could ask for. Innuos in Portugal responds same day. My man Vlad in MN makes Audio Mirror DACs (part-time, one man show) so his response time can be 2-3 days. But when he responds you get the answer you hope to get and more. It is all about managing expectations. When people/companies are A-holes, liars or non-responsive I will gladly pass. Why reward poorly run companies?