Gripped By Upgrade Fever

I’m sure that 99 percent of the people reading this have suffered from the same syndrome before. So please show some empathy.

I’m two months into my ownership of KEF LS50s. Only a fool would be in a hurry to replace those speakers. I am that fool. It’s just that now that I’ve had a taste of what’s possible . . .

This is a long term plan. First, of course, is a new apartment so that a decent listening position is possible. Next, I spend about $5,000 on speakers and I make the big jump from bookshelves to floorstanders. Because this is all so hypothetical, I won’t mention any specific models and I’m not looking for advice on that point. Instead, let me start somewhere more basic.

A lot of of tower speakers, even the relatively small ones you get for 5K, cram a flotilla of drivers into the available space. Not unusual at all to see a tweeter, two mids, and three woofers. Not hard to find more. Right now, with the LS50, I’m looking at a single apparent source that’s five inches wide. All these drivers look like trouble to me. More crossovers, more timing issues, more phase issues, more I-don’t-know-what.

Is this fear rational? Am I crazy? I notice that at the 5K price point, KEF only uses 2.5 drivers—one Uni-Q and one woofer. Everything else is a passive radiator. While I don’t know what passive radiators actually do, I know that they are not independent sources of sound, that they are somehow just passing along energy from the woofer. Lots of other companies—Tannoy and Zu among them—claim virtues from one or two drivers that cover the entire audio spectrum or at least a big chunk of it, arguing that the simpler approach avoids the problems inherent in having lots of drivers trying to do the same thing.

For some reason, without any listening experience or technical knowledge, that argument appeals to me. Is my fear justified? Are speaker makers beyond such paltry concerns? Thoughts/comments/criticism?
paul6001
Sounds like the addition of a well-crossed over subwoofer would add to the LS50 impression. I’ve had one or another form of biamplification since I can remember. 
I love the Kef sound, sold many in the past, and would replace my existing, aging Kefs with same. But I will keep my Rel T9i also. 
ROTFLMAO?
Eric clearly is one of the few brilliant crossover (speaker) designers.
In speaker design, crossovers are where it is at.
The more crossovers, the more problems.
Hi Paul

Jwillox advice might be the best you have received so far. If you calm down you will save yourself time and money. It’s obvious you are not happy with what you have now but before making radical changes try to set it up properly. First get some decent stands if you don’t already have them. Learn how to position them correctly. Next get the best subwoofer system you can afford, something like The Swarm by Audioknesis or a couple of SVS subs. The subs will stay even if you decide to get rid of the LS50’s, so get good ones.  Without properly set up subs you will never get the whole musical or theatrical experience. Setting up the subs will keep you busy for a while but by then you will have a much clearer sense of what you have and what you need. Unless you have a lot of space, floor standers are not going to be a solution for you. 
Good advise. I always thought that the LS50s were uniquely great speakers. For sure, they will greatly benefit from good subs.
Hello,
I think you should get the matching sub. KC62 for $1500. This is the same bass technology found in the $25,000 KEF blades. You can put this practically anywhere. They also have speaker line inputs. There are built in crossover functions for placement even an apartment mode. They play down to 11hz and up to 105db. They also have a wireless kit for $199 that clips on the back of the sub so you can put them where they sound best up to 100’ away. No need for the KEF reference speakers. I would also suggest the stands so you can attach the speakers mechanically. I read you are in Brooklyn so you need to find the local KEF dealer to demo them. If anyone is in the Chicagoland area this local store is a KEF dealer and you can demo in your home before you buy. https://holmaudio.com/I heard a roomer they are getting KEF blade 2s very soon to go with their new Ayre dealership. Since I have never been to Axpona this is the first time hearing the KEF Blades 2s. 
More to discover