Schitt Saga tube buffer preamplifier gain?

I pulled the trigger on the Schiit Saga preamplifier. Why is the gain (volume-output) so low? It is amazing with the one tube. Love it except not much gain in the output stage. Can I tube roll and get a different tube to make a difference? Out of the box it is pure tube sound (buffer). My goal is to get a Schiit Freya + and be set. I hope that is not the same. You guys know so much on this forum. Thanks?
128x128arichison
The Saga and the Freya serve different purposes. Though both can be used to drive an amplifier.  They are not equally compatible with every system however.

The Saga is a passive pre with a tube buffer that can be switched in or out.
The Freya is a true active preamp. IMO having a reasonable amount of gain.
If you want a preamp that uses the 6SN7 preamp tube, check out the Schiit Lyr 3.  It offers 2 gain settings, both are higher than unity. The low setting has 3.5 dB gain and the high 17.5 dB.  I had a Saga+ for a couple of months and discovered that I needed some preamp gain for recordings done at a low level, so I went from the Saga to the Lyr. To me, the sound quality is identical and it solves my need for a bit of gain. (Other than to see if it works, I haven't needed the high gain setting.)   

Now, the Lyr does have a few drawbacks compared to the Saga. It has only one set of RCA inputs (but you can add a second input with one of their DAC or phono modules) and only one set of RCA outputs. It also runs warmer than the Saga, but that is due to the class A headphone amp you get. The Saga doesn't have a headphone output. And, it is $100 more than the Saga with no extra modules. 
I just  really should pull the trigger on the Freya plus. It does it all! I use the Saga plus with my Schiit Asgard class A headphone amp and with just one tube that the Saga plus uses the sound is incredible. Detail, smooth and still dynamic with good headphones!
arichison OP
Schitt Saga tube buffer preamplifier gain?

Why is the gain (volume-output) so low? It is amazing with the one tube.
1:Are you at full volume or 3/4 or 1/2 for loud listening?
2:What is your source that goes into it that it is too low with?
3: And what is your poweramp that you use it with?

Cheers George
George,
I am at full volume on the schitt saga preamp. This way I can use my source plugged in to turn it up (tape deck output, integrated amp output and of course my wonderful schitt asgard headphone amp which I love sound of) The weakest source is turntable with MM cartridge. Too many variables on this with the output and all. Lot of hum . Am using a dual restored table. My power amp is a very powerful B&K Ref 200.2. I also  hooked up the saga to my cambridge audion Azur integrated and it sounded pretty good, smooth, silky etc.  I am going to sell it unless I can find a reason to keep it. I am on the fence. It could shine with a GE or RCA tube roll? Any input would be great. Happy Easter!