Raven Audio Nighthawk

So the scuttlbutt on the Raven integrated amps is pretty good. But just how good are they? Are they good when compared to other comparably priced tube integrateds? Or are they better than some heavy hitters?

I currently have a NOSvalves ST-45 amp paired with a Don Sachs Model 2 (latest version) preamp and I am extremely happy with this pairing. With that said, I guess there is nothing really that I'm looking to improve. But since we all know how this game goes, I just wonder how much better (or not) the Blackhawk III would be. Consolidating two pieces down to one chasis is an attractive idea too.

I would love to hear from you if you own a Nighthawk or Blackhawk or have auditioned one against something else. I know they offer a 45 day trial period, but from my calculations if I don't like it it will cost me close to 400.00 out of pocket once the dust settles. So I'd like to go into this with a warm fuzzy that it's pretty darn good.

Oz

128x128ozzy62
Well if it sucks, it goes back to TX. But I am being optimistic about it.

Devilboy, what speakers were you attempting to drive with the amp?

@ozzy62 
At the time of audition, I was using a pair of Nola Contenders. They were rated EXACTLY where Raven recommends their Nighthawk... At 90db.

@devilboy,
You did it the right way. Get the component into your home audio system, then listen and judge. Turns out the Raven Audio amplifier wasn’t for you but it has worked out successfully for others. This can be said for any audio product on the market.

There will be hits and misses along the way. The OP says his current seperate amp and preamp make him "extremely " happy so a reference point has been established. Will be interesting to see how the Blackhawk iintegrated amplifier stacks up in direct comparison and will it make him as happy.
Charles

@charles1dad 
Exactly. There are so many variables in this crazy thing we do, and that's BEFORE it gets to our ears. Not to mention after that, everyone's tastes are different.
Like I said, I know a lot of people love Raven's stuff.  They are very well respected in the community.
Problem is, sometimes it takes a lot of auditioning to get to that point.  
I'm also curious as to what Ozzy thinks of the Raven.
@ozzy62 
I know you wanted to consolidate and I understand the benefits. However from what I understand that Don Sachs preamp is a killer pre. Your amplifier looks attractive as well.
I'm curious to know how much you're gaining in the change, if at all.