Bass management -- the trick of putting absorbers at a front null

Very interesting discussion with Anthony Grimani. He advocates both traps and multiple subs and goes through the basics and tactics of bass management.

What's of interest to me is a "trick" he mentions -- putting an absorber panel at null between the listening position and the front wall. This, he says, can help even out the bass and take the place of the brute (and impractical) physics of trying to absorb the standing wave with absurdly thick absorbers.

He mentions it very soon after this point (which provides some context): https://youtu.be/QYpAbv7gKrs?t=1853

Has anyone tried this? Any details or outcomes you can share will be welcome.

P.S. He mentions Todd Welti, who did a Ph.D. thesis on using multiple subs. He's now with Harman. There is a paper by Welti, here: "Low-Frequency Optimization Using Multiple Subwoofers" https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/Low-Frequency-Optimization-Using-Multiple-Welti-Devantier/00da...

This looks interesting, too: "How Many Subwoofers are Enough"
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/How-Many-Subwoofers-are-Enough-Welti/96b772af4ea937d8028c2f845...
128x128hilde45
I didn't mean to make him look simple. I wanted to point out it was difficult to understand and could have been a LOT easier. 

He wasn't simple enough. AND it was an easy thing to understand. EVEN the host continued to go back and say "SO IF" several times.. There was a lot of talking, that could have been narrowed to 10th, at the MOST.. LIKE, where to place the weirs? He kept referring to theory. When in fact he was being asked HOW to place the traps, from one side of the room to the other, against the walls, in the center of the room, in front of you? The guy continued to talk but NOT directly answer the questions posed..

NO ONE is going to place a BARRIER in the middle of a home listening room. Not me anyway.. DBA and acoustic treatment are actually polar opposites. Kind of like putting up a WALL of sound, IT'S EVERYWHERE.. Including the neighbors pool... I have a FEW different VBDA systems here. Varied BASS Distributed Array. 

I also wondered WHY the best product he offered, he also quit making.

THAT made ZERO sense to me. Excuse please OP, LOL I may type a lot, BUT I get to the point. Most of my conversations with folks are as long as my replies when typing.. Not a lot of "see how smart I am in the mix". I try to show that through, short, thorough questions and short, thorough answers..  YES and NO is just the right answer sometimes..

NOT KEEP TALKING.. Reminds me of my old boss.. SHUT UP... QUIT TALKING... I use to have to tell him that.. QUIT TALKING, START LISTENING.

I'm so glad I fired him....after he fired me for having a broken neck..

See just two extra lines, including this one..

Regards
@oldhvymec  I understand better now, thanks. I found it easy to follow the first time, so I was unclear about what you meant. Apologies and regards.
hide45 it is funny. I'm just a common man, pretty simple indeed..

I did like the information though.. Gave me an idea or two...

I like the spring traps for sure.. DBA, well it been here for 30 years, in one form or another..

Regards..