Don't get it, why anyone would ask others "what sounds best"?

As a relative new comer I still continue to wonder why 'audiophiles' continue to ask for opinions on what sounds best. Best sounding amps, best sounding speakers, best sounding cables, and on and on. Everyone has their own opinion, why don't you people put on your ears and listen for yourself and decide what sounds best to you?
128x128arizonabob
because they want to know... and are worried they cannot determine the answer on their own
It all sounds pointless. I think I will quit.
Likewise - off to a more entertaining thread. :-)
There's a very good reason to ask others "what sounds best?", particularly here; there are people who are very well informed about audio reproduction here.  It's literally that simple.  Equivalent to asking Anthony Fauci about viral reproduction.

Exhibit A: I recently asked the Forum to opine on which of two highly regarded tubes sound better: https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/1975-new-reflektor-6n23p-swgp-or-siemens-amperex-telefunken-c...

As a complete surprise to me, a different tube was recommended to me by my new favorite Audiogoner petg60.  I acted in accordance with that recommendation and am now, as a result of that action, enjoying the most satisfying audio reproduction that I've ever heard.

Given that such is no less than the raison d'etre of us being here, I'd say that asking  "what sounds best?" is the sanest possible question that you can ask here.  The answer to it could literally accomplish the achievement of the reason why you are here.

Enjoy the music!

for a number of years i did rely on reviews and feedback from others for guidance. and it got me to a dead end of Mark Levinson electronics and Wilson speakers. essentially high end brick and mortar sound. it was good, but not satisfying. that was in the year 2000. i wanted more.

i started to audition various amplifiers and found i liked the Tenor OTL tube amps. they seemed to be more lively and alive sounding. a combo of tubes and solid state. then i found a speaker that i thought would work well with those, the Kharma’s. i got lucky and really liked this combo, and it was a direction i found on my own.

since then i have stayed away from reviewed gear and brick and mortar products mostly. typically i’ve known the gear builders and even been involved in the product gestation. many times owning the very early versions of gear. following my own path. and i built a room reflecting my own views.

lots of people do ask me my opinions. my direction has involved lots of asset allocation and an all in direction. that is not real world for everyone. so it makes sense that people who might like the sound i have to ask me questions.

it takes a leap of faith to acquire a reference for yourself. it’s easier and safer to follow another’s path. nothing wrong with that. the most serious, and the most naturally talented among us, typically do find our own sound. for me it was a struggle and i’ve tripped and hurt myself many times in the process. for a few years now i'd say i have what i was wanting.
for a number of years i did rely on reviews and feedback from others for guidance. and it got me to a dead end of Mark Levinson electronics and Wilson speakers.

Just about the juiciest, tastiest, most awesome sentence I have read on this site in years. Maybe ever. I would say pin it to the top of every page but after a while it would lose its sparkle and that would be a shame, it truly is a gem.

Me, I can only stand in awe at your Zen-like power to flip the tables toppling Levinson and Krell from the peak of the pyramid to a dead end. Which they are, but I’d be attacked for saying it while Mike Lavigne on the other hand will come off smelling like a rose. Seriously, seriously awesome!

Doctor Porsche, the first one, said he could not find the car he was looking for so he built one. To please himself. To satisfy his own personal requirements of what a car should be.

What was it Sinatra said? "I gotta be me!" Only way to fly. One might almost say, there is no substitute.