Low gain preamp options

I’ve read lots of preamp suggestion threads and discussions on amp matching. I don’t know what percentage of people have digital only systems, but it seems like there is a missing niche for preamps.

Most DACs have at least a 2V output which exceeds the input sensitivity of most amps. So unlike a phono input there isn’t a real need for gain in most cases. The problem with a passive preamp is some amps don’t have high enough input impedance. Also a preamp allows longer cable runs (if needed). Then there’s the whole tube warmth or tone that some people are so fond of in taming perceived digital harshness.

I’ve read about lots of tube preamps, but even the low gain ones are still in the 10dB range. It would be nice to have a useful amount of volume adjustment instead of silent to too loud with just a wiggle.

The only unit that comes to mind that’s even close is a Schiit Saga+, but it seems like even mid-fi systems should be able to do better. Don’t get me wrong, I’m using one now. It’s great for $400, but at some point it’s going to become the weak link in my system (if it isn’t already). 

List of desired features:
<6dB gain 
<500 ohm output impedance
tubed output
at least 2 sets of outputs
balanced in/out optional

Anything out there that fits the bill?

cat_doorman
The Backert Labs Rhumba 1.3 has 8db of gain but they can adjust it at the factory to other levels. It is also tubed with balanced input and outputs. 

https://backertlabs.com/rhumba-1-3-preamp/
Another one to consider is the Herron. Keith makes them with switchable gain and will work with you to get the values you want. I auditioned the 360 last year. It's a nice piece, very well thought out and engineered. He's a terrific guy.