Don't get it, why anyone would ask others "what sounds best"?

As a relative new comer I still continue to wonder why 'audiophiles' continue to ask for opinions on what sounds best. Best sounding amps, best sounding speakers, best sounding cables, and on and on. Everyone has their own opinion, why don't you people put on your ears and listen for yourself and decide what sounds best to you?
128x128arizonabob
They ask for the entertainment value of these threads.
BTW, which grill cloth sounds best?
A huge amount of what passes for critical component selection is really nothing more than following the crowd. It is by no means easy learning to listen and evaluate. It took me a good full year just to get to where I was certain what was what between things like CD players. In the beginning I could hear no differences whatsoever. Seriously! Not the only one, either. Was in Definitive Audio one time they demo'd 2 CD players for this guy, after which he said hate to tell you not hearing any difference between them, at all!  

That was the case for me. That was the case for this other guy. I have been to audiophile club meetings and done enough demo's to know this most definitely is the case for a whole lot of people. They never want to admit it, but it is. Seen it in action. Definitely a thing. 

So I totally get it. 

Yet all these people, every single one of them, they all want "better sound" or at least failing that they want a "better component" or a "better system" or room. They haven't learned to listen, or evaluate, so they have no idea what this is or how to get it. So they ask others, what is best?

And wouldn't you know it, they get answers. From others equally not adept at listening and evaluating. And round and round it goes. Where it stops nobody knows.

People are generally divided into two camps: accurate and musical.  I'm in accurate camp.  People who prefer musical (warm sounding) gear don't like accurate gear calling it "sterile" and "analytical".  Many years ago somebody on this forum asked how to make sound warmer with less (!!!) resolution (I recommended placing blankets over the speakers).  I can imagine that some people might even like a little bit of noise or distortion, because it makes sound appear more "dynamic".  No right or wrong here, but making statements or asking for the "best" is plain silly.
Although asking what is best isn't that helpful, asking what something sounds like is helpful. I am sure many will disagree with me, but when I wanted to upgrade my speakers last year, I asked about several brands and it helped me avoid ones I knew I would not like. For instance, Brand A (and this isn't a thread about specific brands) I was told by everyone who had them that they were detailed and "bright" and they loved them, with another Brand B all the owners said they were laid back and perhaps not that great for rock, but they loved them also. Is it possible I might have loved Brand A or Brand B? Possible, but to me it saved me time and perhaps even having to order some and then ship them back.
It's always nice to try before you buy, like at some ice cream stores that has those little pink spoons to try, but some stores don't let you. Flannel Ice Cream? Now I know to try it before buying a cup of it....