Is it possible to bring your kids into this hobby?

Join us tonight at 7 pm for our Listen Up Audio show to discuss equipment topics including sample low cost starter systems. We’ll also touch on speaker crossover basics and a trivia question around a popular 1970s speaker.

https://www.twitch.tv/listenupaudio

https://mailchi.mp/c799ddb83548/listen-up-audio-show-weekly-newsletter-4845483

audioabyss
@erik_squires @unsound Building is the way to go! I’m building one of the Pass ACA’s with my 11 year old now and it’s a blast. He’ll have his first piece of kit and be proud of it!
It's tough to bring kids into quality sounding music if they don't have an appreciation for music.  If they have the opportunity to play an instrument that helps in the appreciation.  My brother and I started on the violin, then guitars.  He has a recording studio and I have a lifelong love of audio and music.
If you take the right approach then it’s easy to get kids interested in all kinds of stuff. I was competing in concours one time with a friend, his wife and two kids were helping prep the car. His kids, probably seen him do the car a hundred times, they were just going through the motions.

I took a minute said here look at this, just this one lug nut, just this one tiny little area around the lug nut. See way in there? Kids have great eyes, they see the dirt no problem. So I tell them that’s what we’re doing. The whole car if you stand back and look at it, looks perfect. What we want is to find any tiny speck hiding anywhere on this wheel. Hide and seek!

Now they have a game, and man you never seen kids play so hard! We won, and the areas of the car the kids were responsible for- the wheels- got some of the highest scores.

Kids just naturally want to learn stuff. Carl Sagan had a whole big thing about kids and their zest for learning. How we as adults stamp a lot of it out. Don’t do that! Find some part of it they can relate to, make it interesting, give them something to do, they will be all over it.

Like the violinist in grade school, he said close your eyes and listen. Now I am one violin. And he played one clean note. Now I am two. And he played a chord. Now I am five! And I swear that is what we heard!

Kids like games. Make it interesting. If they aren’t interested, oh well. But I doubt that will happen. If I can get kids interested in cleaning wheel lug nuts you can for sure get them interested in music.
I agree, kids want to learn. It is about exposure. Kids will follow those things they take most interest in. Must start young. Send them to kindergarden well exposed.