Backup Generator transfer switch

In the past two issues of Stereophile, Michael Fremer has been discussing the disastrous results to the sound of his system after having a backup generator installed at his home. The system is not running on the generator, but he believes it has to do with the transfer switch that gets installed on the AC signal path.  He describes a pre-generator experience as "intense and emotionally elevating" afterwards "everything good was gone, two large ill-focused boomboxes had replaced absolute magic".  I recently moved and had been listening to my system prior to and after the installation of a Generac whole house generator, I did not notice any change in the sound, I can still sit and enjoy the music for hours with no sense of fatigue.  Perhaps my ears are shot or my equipment is not expensive enough.  Anyone here have any experiences with generator transfer switches?

Thanks
Ag insider logo xs@2xdeadlift
Guys and gals, it sounds like we all need to buy some Generac stock.   Actually, if you put an Oscilloscope on the power line during switch over, it will look like a squiggly worm for a couple of minutes, then it steadies out.  So, your primary problem is soon over, however such switches were not designed with hi purity in mind.  They were designed to transfer over from a failed house feed to their generator in order to keep your lights and HVAC on.  Your electrical power company supplies you a near infinite buss.  Your  house generator does not. Your generator company can do better, but you probably would not want to pay for it.
Post removed 
I have nothing against the guy (Fremer) in fact I find him funny at times, but I was thinking along the lines as audio2design mentioned that could this be a plug for a rather expensive piece of gear?

Perhaps the careful placement of mpingo discs would solve the problem?

I've been reading MF for decades. Wrote the guy a question back when he was at Stereophile, back in the days when you would fax. The man actually called me back, helped me choose my first turntable. He came up with the idea of using digital files to allow audiophiles to hear what some of these ultra-expensive cartridges sound like. The man is as far as I can tell first and foremost a serious listener and audiophile who loves vinyl.  

That said, the story as I know it is he made a good living as a surgeon but really loved audio and so as things evolved along he was able to transition to full-time reviewer/audiophile. Something I can totally relate to, believe you me! 

But life is messy, and complicated, and you'd have to be pretty low to knock a guy for being so determined to have great sound he is willing to do it in his basement- and then has the humility to show people around, put it on video, for the sole purpose of helping others with the same affliction find their way. Again, to knock a guy like that, what a total lowlife.
Post removed