Backup Generator transfer switch

In the past two issues of Stereophile, Michael Fremer has been discussing the disastrous results to the sound of his system after having a backup generator installed at his home. The system is not running on the generator, but he believes it has to do with the transfer switch that gets installed on the AC signal path.  He describes a pre-generator experience as "intense and emotionally elevating" afterwards "everything good was gone, two large ill-focused boomboxes had replaced absolute magic".  I recently moved and had been listening to my system prior to and after the installation of a Generac whole house generator, I did not notice any change in the sound, I can still sit and enjoy the music for hours with no sense of fatigue.  Perhaps my ears are shot or my equipment is not expensive enough.  Anyone here have any experiences with generator transfer switches?

Thanks
Ag insider logo xs@2xdeadlift
The thing to watch for is switching transients (or switchover transients) whenever the UPS kicks in or the other way around.  Here is a good blog on the subject: http://www.repeater-builder.com/backup-power/ups-test.html
@whart

it should be possible to route this back up in a way that does not involve the switch
Yes there is. Feed the 10KVA transformer ahead of the ATS switch.

You just won’t have power to the 10KVA transformer during a utility power outage. Which you don’t want your audio equipment fed from the generator anyway.

Just tell your electrician what you want. He will know what to do.
You also might want to check out Cummins/Onan standby generators an ATS. Cost more than Generac though.

Jim

The ATS was NEVER the problem!

The problem was the quality of power he was getting from his backup generator. It was electrically noisy with fluctuating frequency and voltage. 

So he later put in a PS Audio Power Regenerator. It’s nothing more than a power inverter; it converts home power to DC, then uses an inverter to re-form the 120 vac/60 Hz supply. It prevents power fluctuations of any kind, and converts DC to  regulated, perfect true sinewave power.

Easy-peasy, simple.

No mystery here, folks.
wolfie62158 posts

03-15-2021
10:35pm

The ATS was NEVER the problem!

The problem was the quality of power he was getting from his backup generator. It was electrically noisy with fluctuating frequency and voltage.
Not from his own words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2i86qEpC7A
Go to time marker, around 15:40 for where he talks about the ATS, as well showing of the ATS.
ATS was in the normal power position. Generator was off.
@jea48 -thanks Jim.
The other thing I’m looking at is silencing the thing as much as possible. I’m aware of the Zombie Box, a third party silencer box with appropriate venting, but their soundproofing treatment info is a little sketchy. I’ve used melamine sheets with mass loaded vinyl as a sandwich with great success indoors. As long as the lining of the box is weatherproofed, I don’t see why that isn’t an option for this, other than expense- that stuff is pricey, at least from an acoustic supply house. More, once I get down to brass tacks with the electrician and actual ordering; I figured those Cummins things could power a hospital- I was planning on running from natural gas, assume Cummins is available that way too. Appreciate the info.
When I lived along the Hudson north of Manhattan, after Hurricane Sandy, a lot of neighbors bought whole house units. We held off only b/c we weren’t using the house all year, and started splitting time between NY and Texas. Never thought power would be an issue down here. It’s been good, quiet, relatively new infrastructure, etc. Oh well. Beats the hell out of freezing my *** off.
Best to all.
Bill