members and their systems

for the short time I have been on here, I see that members will start a thread asking about a certain piece of equipment or speakers..       they will then buy that piece of equipment / speakers, start a thread about it saying how good it is and then next thing you know, they are starting another thread asking about another piece of gear as they are looking for something different.           what happened to that piece of gear that was so great ?       
  i get the whole buying thing....but where are members getting the money to do all of this stuff ?       do they not have other bills such as rent / mortgage payment, car payment, other bills to pay for also ?
birdscantrow
Glad I could shed a little light for you @afisher even though I fully recognize you were being snarky...I can read minds right?

Jokes aside, there is no real secret why some people can afford certain things while others can’t, I’ve been on both sides of that equation. I just hate to see people chase lixury items with rent money. If you know anyone with a “boat payment” its playing out before your very eyes.
I suspect the top 10% can afford a stereo and a few tweaks......cables, maybe the top 2%.

Net Worth USA Percentiles – Top 1%, 5%, 10%, and 50% in Net Worth
  • The top 1% of net worth in USA in 2021 = $10,500,000.
  • The top 2% of net worth in USA in 2021 = $2,400,000.
  • The top 5% of net worth in USA in 2021 = $1,000,000.
  • The top 10% of net worth in USA in 2021 = $830,000.

@birdscantrow
Please don't judge this site by the obnoxious behavior of certain people. Don't worry, all you need to do is extoll the virtues of springs, Schumann generators or Tekton Moabs and he will be your friend, at least until you ask your next question. 
@glupson. Thank you  I teach high school English and collegiate education.

Also, several people have really identified how many of us do manage to afford it. Well, those of us who don't have as much income as arrest. When I was first starting out in this hobby some 10 or 15 years ago, I could never have afforded what I have now. But the whole idea of trade up really works out over time.

For example, a component I buy for $1,000 I might sell for close to that and then buy another component for maybe $1,500. I might sell that for as close to that as I can, then buy another component worth $2,000, and so on.  Overtime you start getting components built on the financial fossilized remains of your previous ones
I have wondered about this as well.  There must be some extremely rich people in this group and some extremely understanding wives.  I still have to answer to the gate keeper and I don’t want to take her on.