Where to locate Equipment?

I have seen countless setups with the AMPS, DACS, Turntables, etc, all positioned BETWEEN the speakers.  Years ago, I thought this was taboo, and I have always had my equipment to the left of my listening position. I can see the benefits, using short speaker cable runs, etc, but, was/am concerned about that occupied center spot affecting listening quality in some way? 
My room is a rectangle, approximately 19x14x8, carpeted, drywall, pretty normal room for a 2ch system.  Any replies, comments, suggestions are welcomed. Have been away from the hobby for about 20 years, and finding many things have changed during that time.  Thanks in advance.
lgm
Just the pump.. LOL not the whole TT glupson. He would be on the A list for sure.. I'd hum to myself before I'd do a basement run.. I had to catch an opossum in mine last week, mercy. Huge old silver back. I didn't mind him visiting, just decided to take up residence, NO NO NO.. I was in Texas/Arizona for 6 weeks.. Tore the hell out of the place.. I fixed the entry point..

That's, that, now for the alligator in basement, (rodent control) :-)

Regards
Directly behind my speakers is a large closet. If my house had more storage space, I'd clear out the closet, move electronics, and run speaker wire through the wall. It would look better too. The sound works as-is so I don't sweat it too much.
The best location for a component rack is in front of the house by the curb. Be sure to use Craig's List or it may be there a while.
I have moved my rack off to the side. My listening space is small and it doubles as an office.

I am trying to convince my kids to let me take over the game room they do not use.