Where to locate Equipment?

I have seen countless setups with the AMPS, DACS, Turntables, etc, all positioned BETWEEN the speakers.  Years ago, I thought this was taboo, and I have always had my equipment to the left of my listening position. I can see the benefits, using short speaker cable runs, etc, but, was/am concerned about that occupied center spot affecting listening quality in some way? 
My room is a rectangle, approximately 19x14x8, carpeted, drywall, pretty normal room for a 2ch system.  Any replies, comments, suggestions are welcomed. Have been away from the hobby for about 20 years, and finding many things have changed during that time.  Thanks in advance.
lgm
Ideally nothing between the speakers but living environment is not always merciful.

G
It can't hurt to measure your room with a mic to see if there's a nice null off to side which would help make an informed decision.
The only audio equipment I have in my listening room are the speakers themselves.  In a cabinet (with front doors that are closed when the music is playing) in an adjacent room are the turntable, pre-amp, tuner, and digital front end.  The amp is in the basement under the speakers, driven by balanced cables coming through the floor from the preamp above.  Since my turntable has a vacuum pump, I also put that in the basement below the cabinet. 

Obviously lots of cables and tubes going up and down through my wood floors, but the holes aren't visible to guests.  There are cable holes in the floors under the equipment cabinet and behind the speakers.

Guess I made a short story long.  Separate everything as much as practicable, especially if you're using a turntable, and double especially if the turntable has a vacuum pump.
"...The only audio equipment I have in my listening room are the speakers themselves..."

I think that is an ideal set-up but not achievable for most people. Next best is having a low stand of equipment between the loudspeakers, certainly no TVs or huge pieces of furniture with closed doors.      
"Since my turntable has a vacuum pump, I also put that in the basement below the cabinet."

You go down to the basement to change the side of the record? Audiophile of the year!