Where to locate Equipment?

I have seen countless setups with the AMPS, DACS, Turntables, etc, all positioned BETWEEN the speakers.  Years ago, I thought this was taboo, and I have always had my equipment to the left of my listening position. I can see the benefits, using short speaker cable runs, etc, but, was/am concerned about that occupied center spot affecting listening quality in some way? 
My room is a rectangle, approximately 19x14x8, carpeted, drywall, pretty normal room for a 2ch system.  Any replies, comments, suggestions are welcomed. Have been away from the hobby for about 20 years, and finding many things have changed during that time.  Thanks in advance.
lgm
Everyone knows the advantages of having nothing between the speakers. It is on paper totally the way to go. What I realized a long time ago however is it comes at a very steep cost. Speaker cables and/or interconnects must be the highest possible quality you can afford. But we all have our limitations. No matter what level you are at, it should be obvious that you are not going to be able to afford as high quality wire at 10m as you can at 1m. You can dance around this all you want, and believe you me they will. But it just ain’t happening.

I have seen (and heard) the results first hand. The truth is the advice to put everything off to the side with nothing in between is perfectly fine - in theory. In practice however, different story.

Also even in practice there is more to it than just sound quality. There is also room decor, and practical considerations like are you willing to bend over and step over cables and stuff like that. Stuff no one ever talks about in the advice books. Stuff like that is my stock in trade. All the stuff the others miss.

This is my solution. Take the info and use it as you will. https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/8367
Anything goes.  You never know what sounds best until you try and hear it. 
It you do not have a turntable it makes no difference sonically where you put your equipment. From a cable perspective, it is best to keep mono amps right behind the speakers keeping the speaker cables as short as possible running balanced cables to the amps. 
You want to keep turntables as far away from the speakers as possible 
Ideally in another room. 
I do not like equipment between the speakers for aesthetic reasons. I do not want to see cables and complexity. My system doubles as a theater so I have a big screen in the middle. The equipment is in a custom built in cabinet to my left side. Seated at the listening position you can not see a single wire. Perfect.

"...From a cable perspective, it is best to keep mono amps right behind the speakers keeping the speaker cables as short as possible running balanced cables to the amps..."

Why is it better to keep high level cables short and low level cables long?