Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
@pjw81563 
You are very welcome.  The pleasure is all mine.  
Truly makes my day to be able to introduce an appreciative listener to something new!  
A bit of a stretch to call it "jazz" perhaps but definitely jazz influences in it.  

The recording quality of SfJ is excellent as is the musicianship.  The ACT label puts out quality recordings (somewhat like ECM in that regard).

Searching is one of 3 recordings Magnus Ostrom made following the death of Esbjorn Svensson (namesake of e.s.t. trio).  Ostrom was the drummer for e.s.t..  Thread of Life and Parachute are the other two.  Thread of Life is a tougher listen for me.  Parachute is the most recent but playing it last night from Tidal I thought there was a lot of (redundancy?) to the music of Searching.   Recording quality and musicianship on both these others are also excellent, however.  

If you haven't discovered e.s.t. yet you might enjoy exploring their back catalog.  I think you will be rewarded.

Keegiam, I’m tempted to say that it is not possible for a player to be considered underrated after spending so many years being Monk’s tenor of choice. Not of the stature of a Trane or Rollins, but that credential alone would make a player one of the best. However, it is true that he seldom comes up in discussions about great tenor players. It’s almost as if because his very long association with such a giant as Monk overshadowed his work as a leader. So, from that standpoint I would say that, yes, he was underrated since his work as leader is also great and not referenced much.

Rouse was the perfect compliment to Monk and it wasn’t until I became familiar with his work as leader did I appreciate what a feat that was. He was able to compliment Monk’s rhythmically quirky and percussive style. His solo albums make sense of the fact that, by his own admission, Ben Webster, was his main influence.

Not the kind of sound and approach we hear on his recordings with Monk:

https://youtu.be/_I3WXYncRrA

https://youtu.be/x5N0kc1pkUE

https://youtu.be/WYtCQS243Og

Frogman, thanks for your views on Charlie Rouse.  On "You Don't Know What Love Is," the Ben Webster influence is unmistakable.  Beautiful piece.

Interesting that the album title for the second track you posted is "Unsung Hero."  That sort of sums it up.  Now I see that "underrated" is inaccurate.  It's more like Rouse didn't get appropriate acclaim.  I imagine he did feel like an unsung hero.
Alex, thanks for adding to the Charlie Rouse discussion. Great tracks, thanks.

It strikes me that the sidemen on "Taking Care of Business" weren't up to Rouse's level. And Rouse really lit it up on that Dave Bailey track.