Benchmark LA4 vs. Anthem STR Preamps

My nephew is contemplating an upgrade on his preamp (currently using a lower-end Parasound, not sure of the model).   He says he’s whittled it down to two — the Benchmark LA4, and the Anthem STR (preamp).
— Pro’s & Con’s of each ?
— Anyone own one or the other?
I’m not personally familiar with either, so any data or opinions welcome.   

Thanks,
Jim
jhajeski
The STR includes streaming, DAC, extensive bass management and phonograph inputs, as well as room correction.

I would go with that or the integrated Anthem.

Best,

Erik
They are totally different units.

The LA4 aims for minimum circuitry and maximum transparency. Reports I’ve read say it succeeds at the latter. It has few features; it’s just a highly transparent line stage and attenuator.

The STR Preamp (as @erik_squires said) has digital room correction, digital tone controls, digital crossover for 1 or 2 subs, a built-in phono preamp, and a DAC. It does a LOT more than the LA4, and I think it sounds quite good while doing it. (I own one.)

Your nephew could hardly have chosen two more different units. Once he thinks about his priorities, his choice should be clear.

P.S. I’m afraid Erik was mistaken in saying the STR Preamp has digital streaming built in. It does not. An external stream renderer (such as those by Bluesound, Auralic, or others) is needed for that.
After reading up a bit on both units, I see what you mean...totally different characteristics & features, for two different types of use.   When I see him next, I'll try to find out exactly how he came to choose these two; what was his decision-making process, etc.?  
Regardless, thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.
-- Jim
@jhajeski  If he is using the Parasound and likes it (I owned the A23 once) the Anthem STR will like be preferred by him. I own the HPA4 (same as the LA4) and I think it is the best component in my system. The Anthem will have a nice warm sound. The Benchmark will have no sound to it.

I also find that having an all Benchmark stack (DAC3B | LA4 | AHB2) is the way to go when using Benchmark. Otherwise, you are limiting the Benchmarks advantages by mixing with other brands.

BTW - I think hardware based DSP is not as good as the DSP I use with my Benchmark stack and ROON. However, that is a different conversation.
Yz we have experience with roon and the str  they are two very different types of room correction the anthem is automated while roons ddp require you to understand a rta the roon dsp ismore like a room eq rhen the anthem which tries to flatten egregious problems 

Fot that reason we endorse either the anthem or legacy wavelet 

If someone is setting u a simpler system digital only no phono the wavelet offers an easy to use eq fub. Function that the anthem does not

Dave and troy 
Audio intellect nj
Anthem, legacy dealers