My system is ... well, not ready

Hi Everyone,

A lot of you have been asking me to look at my system, and it’s been an absolute mess in this apartment. However!! I am moving, and I have posted the new living/listening room up in the Systems part of Audiogon. I’m 3 weeks from occupying that space, so please be patient as it will take a while to clutter it up with electronics. :)

Right now the plan is to put the TV in the bay window. It only looks at the neighbors, so I don’t mind giving it up, flanked by GIK acoustics soffit traps and standalone panels, as well as adding curtains in all the windows and doors and ceiling mounted panels.

The room is about 13' by 17' and I'll be taking lots of measurements as I go along. :)

Best,

E
erik_squires
I have updated my virtual system with a current image.  Room is still a mess, and the final GIK Acoustic components are not in but it sounds really good. :)

I spent the weekend binging Sci Fi shows I have been putting off as well as catching up on Marvel Universe flicks. The sound is large and super smooth but the imaging is not very detailed.  Waiting on the GIK diffusors before going nuts with that.

Honestly though the room looks very stark.  It feels great when the lights are dimmed and the curtains drawn I feel like I am in a theater, but it's really not looking great as a living room.
Somewhere I should mention that I am using the OmmiMic DVD to help me. In addition to doing basic frequency response charting, I used it to precisely configure the relative speaker distance which was oddly quite wrong in the Anthem settings. I mean, of course I started by measuring distances with a ruler and put that in with half-foot accuracy but the timings were not correct for the surrounds vs. the front channels. Off by a good two feet or so ( i.e. 2 mSec). When you introduce DSP to one channel but not others like I do by using it in the Center and Sub only you also have to deal with extra delays in processing there.

Of course in a motion picture auditorium, there is only 1 seat in the house where you achieve such absolute precision in arrival times, but hey, audiophiles are nothing if not fussy.

Using a combination of the OmniMic DVD and miniDSP’s very precise delay settings I was able to get perfect delay matching.