Wilson Audio Sabrina X vs Revel Ultima Salon 2

I had the pleasure of A/Bing the Sabrina X vs the Salon 2 at authorized dealer Entertainment Technology in Mount Kisco, NY. A great store and very helpful! These speakers were paired with a Mcintosh C1100 pre, MC462 amp, and DCS Bartok. I listened to the Wilson, then Revel, then Wilson again for several tracks each over about an hr and a half. I have Revel voice and Gem 2 so the Salon 2’s seem like a perfect match but I also like Wilson a lot. One caveat to the set up is that the Wilson’s were in their ideal positioning. They were not allowed to be moved. The Revel’s were not ideally placed. They were spaced closer together and forward for the test. 

Sabrina X- Typical perfect Wilson build quality and made in USA. What was once a Wilson weakness, the tweeter, is now a strength. An overall delightful and easy speaker to listen to. The tweeter really is so smooth and enjoyable. 
Revel- Sounds similar to my Gem2’s but better in every way. Bigger, incomparably better bass. 
Overall the sound was so close! Extremely similar sounds. I’m not sure if it’s more impressive the small Wilson’s can compete with a larger and venerable Salon 2 or if it’s that a 13 year old speaker can match a brand new Wilson. I think I liked the Revel more. It may have been a visual bias but the Wilson physically is so small the soundstage wasn’t quite as large. Also, with the Wilson I had to keep my eye on the volume control. It seemed to run out of gas earlier than the Revel. It may have been the Mcintosh gear but the bass was better controlled on the revels. The Wilson went really deep for such a small speaker but it was almost too much bass, it didn’t seem quite right in comparison. However, the Wilson tweeter was slightly more refined. 
Would love to hear thoughts. I can easily live with either!  Both superb. 
spearl8
Well, we are kind of having this discussion about a sweet spot. :)

You are right, the modern Wilson's are great as you described.  Now, sit 2' to the right and there is at least one area where you'll hear a difference.
I think you made great observations.
Considering that the Wilson's were given the prime spot, and couldn't be moved would make me worried.
IMHO, There is nothing worse than a speaker that has to be set in a 'perfect' position. And, the fact that the Revel's couldn't be accommodated equally raises another red flag.
Bob
There is not a doubt in my mind that the Salon is a better speaker.... but I find the Sabina (never heard the X) more engaging.
The Sabrina has a bit of a bass hump around 80hz-ish? I think. This makes them sound “bigger” than they are. The revels reach down lower but never had the impact to pull me in.
Both are great and I could happy live with either. The wilson will have better resale.
Post removed