VTL's and KT88's?

Howdy! Does anyone have any experience using KT88's in their VTL amps? Specifically, I have a pair of MB450 Signature (pre Series II version). The best current KT88 (Gold Lion) is reputed to provide better sound quality than the best current 6550C and I'm tempted to try them. At $900 for the two octets, I'd like to hear from anyone who's used KT88's in their VTL's before I take the plunge.

Thanks!
kbarham
I've got a pair of VTL 300 deluxe mono blocks and currently use Gold Lion KT-88's. In my system, with my equipment they are great. They roll of the high's silky smooth and oh what a sweet mid range. They don't have the tight bass like the 6550's but I think it just my speakers.

I tried the Chinese KT 88-98's because of the cost. I really liked them but they were a unreliable. I cheap'ed out and didn't buy them from Kevin Deal. Oh well live and learn. I did go to Kevin for the Gold Lions and I've had no problem.

Good luck
I've got Gold Lion KT-88's in my ST-150 and I hear exactly what vegasears hears....superb.  Except with my Thiel 3.5's, the ST-150 even in triode mode handles the bass better than either the ST-85 or ARC D90b that I've used previously.  Not quite as defined as a transistor amp, completely realistic to the real thing.
The best sounding KT88 is the Shuguang WE-KT88 plus red base tubes.  They are 3 dimensional have tonal qualities in spades, but they will not stand up to the high plate voltages on the MB-450, or other VTL amps.
If you try a Chinese KT88, you will get flash over and early tube failures. So stick with the gold lion KT-88s, or if you want a touch warmer sound, try the Electro Harmonix KT88.
@johnss  That's exactly how the Shuguang K-88 performed for me back in 2009.  I only use GL KT-88's in my VTL 450MKII amps.  Thanks for the comments on the Electro Harmonix KT88's. It may be time for a change.