Groundbreaking albums. Any genre.

Not necessarily the very best but those that opened up a new direction and influenced many.
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
John McLaughlin with Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Dead Can Dance - Spleen and Ideal
John McLaughlin/Paco de Lucia/Al di Meola - Friday Night in San Francisco 
Deep Purple - Machine Head
inna
For me the biggest ones are...

Mekong delta for the thrash/prog metal, groundbreaking band. Fates warning close second. (More of a power metal w prog influence. 
 Bathory s/t LP.   Bathory spawned 2 genres (I despise the genre thing, as me in the early 80’s  it was either metal, or it wasn’t.) this album changed music forever. 
GGGRRRRRR
Venom -welcome to hell.  INFLUENCED BY MOTÖRHEAD, this release influenced about every metal band since.   Release date I think was Dec. 1, or 2, or 3, I do remember it was the first week of December. 1981, this slab of unholiness was released and people flipped out, as did I. Still a personal fav, this album changed music forever.

paul Samson,  Paul and Paul alone single handily started the amazing NWOBHM scene.  Arguably, I’m a huge fan of the British scene, and the dates of Samson’s releases predate much of the so called NWOBHM movement.     Lots of singles and bands were also a huge part of this British influence. 
 Either way, I’m so glad to be a part of the start of metal, the decline, and the rebirth!

\,,/
long live metal!

"Deep Purple - Machine Head"

Is is possible to play that album  low volume? Space Truckin- I think not.