SGC vs Roon Nucleus

Is there a different between the Small Green Computer sonicTransporter i5 and a Roon Nucleus Plus other than $$$‽
rsf507
I’m currently running Roon on my laptop, want it off my laptop, and find myself asking the same question as you. As mentioned, the SGC is cheaper, both are fanless, and it looks like the SGC has better specs. I’m leaning towards the SGC based on price and that from what I’ve heard, they are very responsive for support.
I think both companies offer a good return policy. Best to order both, compare them for a couple of weeks in your system, and return the one you like less.
I believe the SGC has a stronger processor, an I5. Doesn’t the Roon unit have an I3? If you want to seriously upsample as high as 512 then you will need to get an I9 model. I have been running the SGC I5 about a year and I am very satisfied. It is stable and makes a good Roon server
I feel like it would be cheaper to just build a computer. Granted you wouldn't have much in the way of support other than having to contact the manufacturer if your RAM, SSD, processor, etc....had problems.

My PC is an Intel DH77DF motherboard, i7-3770 CPU, 16GB Corsair RAM, 500GB Samsung SSD for the OS/Programs & 1TB Samsung SSD for Music files. I think I spent a little less than $350 on the components.

Now, I spent another $470 on the case & power supply, but that was just me going all out on an HDPLEX H3 V3 with 400W power supply. 
For what it's worth, my SGC i5 went in for a repair, which Andrew turned around in less than a day.  Astonishing customer service.

While it was gone I had to run Roon core on a Macbook Air.  My sound quality tanked and died.  It was grimy and full of glare, like I went from a hi-fi to a mid-fi system.

Fired up the repaired sonicTransporter, and I'm back in sonic heaven again.  Point is, Roon likes to have a dedicated server.

I can't imagine that the Nucleus+ sounds better than a SGC sT; just has a little fancier case and some Roon branding.  Small Green Computer is great.