Searching for a new CD player

I would like to purchase either a new or used CD player.  Budget is about $600.  My biggest priority is finding one that will play CD's that contain some scuffs and scratches.  My current Yamaha 300 model that is a few years old does not do well in that respect.  I've read the Audiolab 6000cdt transport is good with CD's in bad condition but I will then need to add a DAC.  Not sure if any of the less expensive DAC's like the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100 is worth the cost since it appears to be about ten years old now.  Wondering if buying a new Marantz CD6007 or Rotel CD11 Tribute might be better since the DAC's are newer?  I noted the new Music Hall C DAC 15.3 is pretty good at handling troublesome CD's.  

Or would there be some used CD players that might outshine the new models mentioned?
will62
Try the Sony ES UBP-X1100ES universal disc player. It's right at $600 and will play SACDs along with CDs and BlueRay disks. You can't get more for the money.
I don’t know of any measure of a player’s ability to read scuffed discs. Maybe a repair tech can comment on that. I think it has to do with the strength of the laser and critical focus adjustments that can be tweaked. It definitely has nothing to do with the DAC...that is downstream from the pickup. On the Rega Apollo, my experience says it’s data recovery is not its strong suit.  Buy new if you want a strong laser...they do weaken with age, and you get a warranty to help if adjustments are needed.  Another option is to buy from a reliable repair shop that has thoroughly tested and tweaked the player. Nakamichi made great sounding players that are abundant on the used market. 
Urbie.  That's an absurd statement.  That's like saying you can't find a quality car for under 20 grand.  Granted the more you pay for anything likely will result in higher quality construction and components and more bells and whistles but that doesn't mean you can't find something decent for a lower price.  You can also find lemons at higher prices in most products.

Thanks for the additional replies.  Working a lot of OT at work this week. But I will have time this weekend to start researching the units mentioned.

Crustycoot.  Thanks.  I have a 30 year old Onkyo CD player that handles the scratches and scuffs better than the Yamaha.  But it is pretty dated now and as you noted, the laser probably has a limited lifespan left.  For its time being a $250 model it was halfway decent.  

Owned a Nakamichi tape deck in the early to mid 1980's.  BX2 I believe. 
+1 for the Marantz HD CD 1. It's built like a tank

or

Shiit should be introducing a cd player soon (or is it a transport?)